Local stations that could really do with a makeover

Not sure where to post this, but in another thread we were talking about the poor state of local stations - even in ski resorts and resort towns.

This is just outside of Ishiuchi Station, near the Ishiuchi Maruyama resort near Yuzawa in Niigata. I think the weather actually makes it look better than it is! Actually not that many people use the station to come skiing (many come from Yuzawa station) but still it is a really poor image especially for a "resort town". I don't think those shops even open in winter they are all just empty buildings. It looks like it is unchanged and untouched since the 70s or something.....

statx.jpg

Any more?

I haven't got as quite a good set of pics but those ones above bear an uncanny resemblance to Myoko. Here's a couple that I could fish out of my collection of the Myokokogen eki. Really is looking a little tired.

111mdx.jpg

222lls.jpg

20060416_myoko-kogen.jpg

Love to see some more posted up of other 'resort' towns too.

Let's face it, the state of many country towns is appalling. Frankly I feel architecture as a whole in Japan is absolutely terrible. Aesthetics just doesn't seem to be a consideration. Kutchan for instance is about as ugly as they come. No one seems to care less. There are hardly any beautiful towns in Hokkaido at all. Plenty of beautiful landscapes of course but generally just one ugly town after another.

Hokkaido has the station with the best name!

image034.jpg

This is taken from Hakuba Station. If this were in Britain, everyone would complain that the view was spoilt. Ironically the mountain after which the town was named is being obscured by a steel sculpture of the mountains and that clock thing. The building with the McDonalds doesn't help either.

IMG_1248@.JPG

I've always thought the station area was a mess, but Myoko's really raises (lowers) the game to ghost town level.

There's some pretty bad ones near where I am. I will try to remember to take a photo next time.

Whats that station name Mr Wiggles? Pot Station?!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
No one seems to care less.

It really does seems to be that way at times doesn't it?

Perhaps people here can photoshop/filter out in their minds the awful buildings and messes everywhere just like they seem to be able to with the electric cables and unused cars wrecks parked unceremoniously right under a big sakura tree. 'Kirei desu ne'! I wish I could do that!
  • 1 month later...

Had a very long day yesterday going into Fukushima.

Not a station but we went on a toll road which is one of the 100 best driving roads in Japan (or a translation something like that) - and extremely pretty indeed it was - although we didn't have much views with the cloudy weather.

So here is the entrance to the road, proudly displaying the sign...

3002263.jpg

...then looking the other way, still right on the entrance to the toll road, is this lovely deserted building...

3002264.jpg

More deserted buildings on the way up too. Looked awful. Why don't they pull these things down?

I'm going to wait until SJ makes it's photo changes to put up nicer photos from the day.

I think concrete buildings cost 50 000 yen a tsubo to demolish. The gomi rules for separating building debris keep getting tighter. From its age, that one could well have asbestos too, so that'll bump it up even more.

I see. It looked a right mess, especially in such a prominent position right at the main entrance to the Skyline (the toll gate is just behind me when I took the photo there.

There's a building near where I live that has got to be a very dangerous trap for kids if they were playing in the area. It is so run down and half collapsing I really can't believe they wouldn't take it down. Who takes responsibility for these run down shells? You would think that the local council would want these eyesores and potentially dangerous buildings down, like now.