Things to consider when choosing ski or board

I'm going to be new to it all this winter, and need to think it through. I can't afford ski and snowboard equipment, so I'm going to choose 1 and go for it! But I can't really decide which one to go for.

Any advice or pointers?

Cheers

neil

Any time you spend doing what Fattwins suggests is time that you could be getting better at snowboarding which you will be taking up anyway...

Get some nice snowboarding kit and spend some quality time looking forward to it snowing, secure in the knowledge that you're all sorted for when it does.

Alternatively,

Get some nice skiing kit and spend some quality time looking forward to it snowing, secure in the knowledge that you're all sorted for when it does.

\:D

Oceans 11 are a bunch of criminals too - can't trust them either.....

\:D

Seriously, try skis and board both and then decide. It is a good idea. You can buy the equipment very quickly once you decide and not regret it.

You can buy all the clothes and then decide later which stlye you prefer. Ocean and ski are way too one sided to give you a good opinion. The gear out there these days makes whatever you decide to do that much easier.

I know I mentioned it last year, but I really want to try taking a few runs on a pair of new style skis this winter. Well I found my old ski boots the other day (from when I was like 15) and they still fit! Pretty comfy too. If I am in this country at some point this winter I will take em for a spin...but don't be getting any crazy ideas like that I am gonna hang up the board for a pair of planks.

Of course that is what I said about skiing when I started boarding. \:D

Try it!!! It will be fun!!!! clap.gif

Find some nice skis (Fattwins will surely point you in the right direction) and go, go, go \:D

I want to try out snowboarding sometime next season (don't get me wrong, I LOVE skiing and don't plan to give it up any time soon) for something to do when I can't ski the powder in the trees cos there either isn't enough or the snow is crummy... looking forward to that - got a friend with gear I can borrow, so that's convenient!!!

Definitely. Unless you're really good, you won't look cool. (Anyone ever seen a video of themselves - quickly brings you back down to earth that does!)

Haven't you guys season opening events in some of the resorts in Japan where the board/ski producers introduce their new stuff and you can test it?

I usually do this here in Switzerland, and from experience there is only one message: NEVER EVER(!!!!) buy something before you didn't try at least five boards/ski. Otherwise it's just too likely that you'll regret any single Yen you spend on the board/ski you bought.

This is simply because they all look good on the paper/in the shop, however they all open up their little universe the minute you go down the hill with them.

And if you finally found what you where looking for, check if you can get the model from the season before - its usually cheaper, but still about 98,8% of what the new model is like.

fly!

Yeah but the swiss always do things differently right? Europe is the birthplace of modern snowsports and it is still the biggest market for skis and boards. At the start of the season I have never seen or heard of demo days only at the end of the season. good idea though.

• 1 month later...