Originally Posted By: Indo
JA, I'm not arguing about ANZAC day. It's today and that's when it should be remembered.
There's alot of confusion in NSW with the day this year as teachers have decided they'll take the day on monday, and various others have too when it is not a public holiday.

My Q is why the hell do we get a day off for the Queens birthday (which isn't even her birthday!)

Teachers didn't make the decision! It was the Department!

And, Hell yeah! Mrs Phil the Greek's actual birthday was a couple of days ago - turned 80 and should be retired, poor dear - Roll on the Republic!
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does make a bit of a difference, though.

The implication was that the teachers had decided not to work the first day back. In fact, the Department allows a number of "pupil free" days a year. If the school management decides to take the first day as the PFD then that's their decision, not the teachers.

In our area, the staff are taking the opportunity to attend a significant professional development conference arranged for Monday and Tuesday.

Geez, I see you have nothing better to do this weekend JA! wakaranai

As I understand it, the NSW board of Edu decided 5 years ago to take the monday off, as it was thought that the monday would be the make up public holiday. So round here it's Monday as Anzac day, Tuesday at PFD and wed start... Privates don't get the monday...

please feel free to pick my gramatikal and punktuation mistakes if you desire

Well I am of the firm opinion that the more you pay for education in Australia the less days of actual school contact you get.

lol

...and the private schools dont need a reason!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Well I am of the firm opinion that the more you pay for education in Australia the less days of actual school contact you get.
lol

...and the private schools dont need a reason!

Seems to be the way it works eh MB!
Originally Posted By: Mantas
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Completely forgot about it and couldnt really care less....

Time to change the record GN. No one cares that you don't care.

And we all care that you do? rolleyes

Why would you bother posting on an ANZAC day thread if you don't care about ANZAC day other than to let people know that you don't care? Yawwwwwwnn !!

Moving on.

I think the gratitude shown towards the diggers is growing every year. Movies like Australia have jolted the publics memory about the bombing of Darwin and how close we came to losing our way of life and god knows what else. More bombs were dropped on Darwin than on Peal harbour. The Japanese war machine was right on our door step and most of our fighting men were off defending foreign lands. And lets not forget, ALL of our fighting men were volunteers in the two world wars.

Why would you bother posting on an ANZAC day thread if you don't care about ANZAC day other than to let people know that you don't care? Yawwwwwwnn !!

Maybe because I think the whole ANZAC thing is a bit of a yawn. I attribute the resurgence in the popularity of the ANZAC day parade, even though all the true ANZAC's are pushing up daisies, to a resurgence in patriotic fervor in Aus rather than any real desire to remember the fallen troops. As far as I'm concerned it's now all about showing your patriotism to prove you're a good little Aussie.

I saw this resurgence in nationalistic tendencies occur during the many horrible years we had to endure under the ultra conservative Howard government. I didn't and still don't see it as a positive thing. Overzealous patriotism is not a good thing. And a whole lot of young people marching in a parade that they can really have no appreciation whatsoever for smacks of overzealous patriotism to me.
Originally Posted By: Go Native

Maybe because I think the whole ANZAC thing is a bit of a yawn. I attribute the resurgence in the popularity of the ANZAC day parade, even though all the true ANZAC's are pushing up daisies, to a resurgence in patriotic fervor in Aus rather than any real desire to remember the fallen troops. As far as I'm concerned it's now all about showing your patriotism to prove you're a good little Aussie.

Help me here ..what is ture ANZAC?

From Wiki

Anzac Day marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.[1] The acronym ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, whose soldiers were known as Anzacs. Anzac Day remains one of the most important national occasions of both Australia and New Zealand.[2] This is a rare instance of two sovereign countries not only sharing the same remembrance day, but making reference to both countries in its name.

So true ANZAC's are those who fought in WWI and more specifically those who partook in the Gallipoli campaign.

But ANZAC day is to honour all fallen soldiers and give respect for all who served - not just on the beaches of Gallipoli but also in every day of service since (and I suppose even before).

The origins are the foundation, but not the whole.

Not that I would tell GN he is not entitled to his opinion, because he totally is, but I think it is an opinion of a minority. Most of us recognise the sacrifices that were made and continue to be made by servicemen and women to make our homes safe. In the same way I think we should be honouring and including our police force - because god help them they are working in a war zone most days!!

I guess I grew up during a period when the ANZAC day parade was not popular, in the years following the Vietnam war. I question why it has grown again in popularity. My conclusion is that it is to do with a renewed sense of national pride and patriotism. Whether or not you think that is a good thing is up to you. Personally I think stirring up nationalistic pride can be very harmful. Hell it's the main way that governments get the populace to support war. With our participation in recent conflicts around the world it's hardly suprising that a bit of nationalism has been stirred up by recent governments.

GN -My kids marched in the parade and I will encourage them to do so every year and it has bugger all to do with patriotism.

I doubt that anyone that embraces the ANZAC spirit would be ignorant to the real ANZAC story.

WE were the invaders, invading people in their homeland.

WE were the losers in that battle. WE got our arse kicked.

Hardly a glorification of war or an opportunity to celebrate patriotism. (I doubt that army recruiting offices around the country will be swamped with applicants today)

I think you'll find that ANZAC day will become bigger and bigger each year regardless of who is in government.

I think it's basically because every year there are less and less diggers marching. Soon there will be none at all. Australians just want the memory of what they did and the sacrifices they made to live on long after they are gone. I also think that todays generation have no idea about commitment, service and sacrifice compared to those past generations, therefore many people (including me) are trying to revive, recount and rejuvenate those past deeds and values of those truly stoic people.

It's not a day for celebration and flag waving, it's a day of rememberence and gratitute.

...... it's a day of rememberence and gratitute.

Yep.

I was watching some doco on and off on TV night before last and they were interviewing old fella's from Borneo I think. Now there was some stats hundreds upon hundreds of POWS, and 6 came home - the old blokes were finally telling of some of the things that happened to them - and one fellow said "The families of the dead were still alive, they did not want to know exactly how thier sons died, so we all decided to stay silent"

I reckon a lot of the stories of war from back then were hidden, but now - with only a few of them left - some of those prreviously unheard stories are being told. Those stories impact the current generations. Those of us who have never known war hear the stories and are thankful that we have not had to endure what they did. So we honour those that did, and be thankful we have not.

It is good we remember - because 'lest we forget'...

I took my 4 boys to Dachau - and we had lots of discussions revolving around it - looking at how the post WW1 situation set up the conditions for Hitlers Nazi's to take control, the lives of German people at the time, the lives for those who ended up in concetnration camps, the fall out for survivors, the lessons to be learnt, the progress of WW2....and many other topics besides. Much more of that info is going to be retained by them than what they read in history books at school.

it is good to teach our kids and allow them to FEEL history - rather than just rote learn it. I think more and more kids are FEELING history - and that is why they are attending ANZAC services.