• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Weegeoff
BUT this is OUR story, and it's a good one. We must make sure it is re-told to future generations and not let the fiction get in the way of the facts.
Sorry but it is not just your story veryangry

True, it is not JUST the story of Aus. But the story is very significant in Ais. That there were others involved is undeniable but not especially relevant to the ANZAC tradition.

As it happens, many ANZAC ceremonies now welcome returned service personnel from any country (including those against whom Aus was fighting) as a celebration, not of war but of the need for continued peace.

Aust and the ANZACs were part players in the campaign. Even the Aust and New Zealand Army Corps was only a passing thing and suffers in comparison to what happened later in the war. Galipolli wasn't an Aussie show or even an ANZAC show but somehow it has become OUR story and the other players have faded into the background. Even the ANZAC concept I reckon is seen from an Australian point of view as being largely an Australian indentity rather than one we share with the Kiwis.

I understand it was a big deal for the Turks then and still is. Ataturk played an important role during the campaign as well.

From wiki:

Died, Wounded, Total

Total Allies 44,092 96,937 141,029

- United Kingdom 21,255 52,230 73,485

- France (estimated) 10,000 17,000 27,000

- Australia 8,709 19,441 28,150

- New Zealand 2,721 4,752 7,473

- India 1,358 3,421 4,779

- Newfoundland 49 93 142

Ottoman empire (estimated) 86,692 164,617 251,309

Total (both sides) 130,784 237,290 336,048

Sorry, but I've been misunderstood.

The Australian component of the campagn is our story.

Like I said before. Austalia only played a small part in whole thing but it was a big sacrifice for a nation.

This from here

The First World War had a devastating effect on Australia. In 1914 the male population of Australia was less than 3 million, yet almost 400 000 of them volunteered to fight in the war. An estimated 60 000 died and tens of thousands were wounded.

All to defend England

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Sorry, but I've been misunderstood.
The Australian component of the campagn is our story.
Like I said before. Austalia only played a small part in whole thing but it was a big sacrifice for a nation.
This from here

The First World War had a devastating effect on Australia. In 1914 the male population of Australia was less than 3 million, yet almost 400 000 of them volunteered to fight in the war. An estimated 60 000 died and tens of thousands were wounded.

All to defend England

to defend England! What history book are you reading. This is typical though from you Mantas.
When I did history it was to defend Belgium and then France!....but obviously yours is different history in Australia.,,,

Well yes, but why were they defending Belgium and France?

They never would have boarded the ships if England wasn't threatened.

Jeez, anything else you'd like to pick holes in?

i think you know that one.

1914 Australia was a young country - probably only 10 years or so old. Most of Australians at that time still looked to Britain (not only England) as the home country.

So many volunteered to fight overseas shows how much love they had for the mother country.

Dont sully that spirit with a silly comment

What was the silly comment? Austalian troops fought and died in battles in the Somme and Flanders to help prevent the advance of the Germans who were hell bent on taking over Europe incuding England.

oh....what plan was that to take over England? First time I've heard that one.

Though if Britain did fall in WW1 maybe the colonies and the Empire would have fallen as well.....

Maybe they would have, but it's a long way from Brussels to Bondi, a few Germans in New Guinea, not much of a threat to us though. Of course England was under threat, that's why they signed a treaty with Belgium, then later France and Russia. Thus the reason why young Australian men volunteered to go to the other side of the world and fight.

To defend England!

I don't quite understand what your getting upset about Stemik. I don't have a problem with how, when, where or why the Australias were there.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Hearing you Weegeoff..
The scots get shat on, on a lot of occasions....
what's your biggest national identity day for being a scot ?

I am english

I don't quite understand what your getting upset about Stemik. I don't have a problem with how, when, where or why the Australias were there.

Me too....must have been that Shiraz. Sorry...
Originally Posted By: Weegeoff
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Hearing you Weegeoff..
The scots get shat on, on a lot of occasions....
what's your biggest national identity day for being a scot ?

I am english

well I guess I can answer that one......we don't have a day Jynxx. Unlike the Irish and others who have patriotic days, us Scots don't really have a particular day where we show our "Scottishness", I guess we are too busy doing it every other day!! lol

For sure we have St.Andrews day, but that is a nonentity, nothing happens and it passes without any newsworthy story. We also have Burns Night, to celebrate the life and works of Robert Burns, and although there are ceildh's ("Party" in Gaelic) and Burns suppers where we get dressed up in full kilt and sing and dance traditional scottish folk dances its not like the whole country does it, usually pretty isolated affairs. The most I have ever done for Burns night is to eat Haggis for my dinner.

actually as an afterthought, Hogmany (New Years Eve) is probably the closest day we have to show our Scottishness. Family party, singing, Auld Lang Syne, whisky and 1st footing (trailing round friends and families houses, being the 1st visitor of the year, giving small gifts to ensure a happy and prosperous New Year) is as Scottish as it gets
Originally Posted By: stemik

Me too....must have been that Shiraz. Sorry...

No worries.... I know I am guilty of Pommy bashing every now and then, but that wasn't one of them.