Just this last week 4 of my friends (2 in the States and 2 in the UK) have learned that they have only 1 month left with their job. Two of them have been with the same company for 15+ years and never really thought they were pretty secure.

All getting very close to home.

eyes

one month is a bit ordinary! Hope the severance package is a good'n. When I took a redundancy, it was voluntary, I got a year's salary and super payout.

a rather high level manager got it a few months back. He has subsequently found an even higher level management job.

His advice was to NOT drive yourself crazy by doing Monster and JobsDB. That will only make you feel even worse as you'll imagine you're not qualified for every job you're interested in there.

Take a breather, get talking to close friends and colleagues for any sort of lead.

I guess private eikawa teachers must be in for a rough ride this year, if I was cutting households costs then 8000yen/hour eikawa lessons would be the first thing to go.

actually, I've got a lot of examples I know of these recent months.

Some have decided to take a year off and do some studying, one decided to go to India and learn yoga, one decided to relocate to UK. etc.. etc..

Redundancy? Severence package? What are they? Your privelliged to have worked for a company the gives you that. A lot of people just get a foot up the arse or worse, go to work one day to find the gates locked.

What line of work were they in Joshnii?

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Redundancy? Severence package? What are they? Your privelliged to have worked for a company the gives you that. A lot of people just get a foot up the arse or worse, go to work one day to find the gates locked.

True, that! I was working for the Catholic Church at the time - biggest organisation I ever worked for. They tend to do things reasonably well, and the Education arm is a good one to get a redundancy from.