I've seen nighta go from being something a lot of resorts offered to something that is now much more limited (which resorts and which days). Surely due to the lack of people that get out there and use it. I don't know the costs but with only a few people on the slopes it's easy to see how it ain't making any money.

I think the best in this region (if we include Yuzawa area in that) will be Ishiuchi. I really like nighta when there's new snow - not something we've had endless amounts of this winter.

Was wondering how nighta is doing in other places? I hear Niseko is pretty big area - is it popular and busy?

Cheers.

well hirafu spends 100,000 yen a night to light their field - thats the cost of lights only-hirafu only- so I am guessing its a massive money drain. Some nights like tonight it is busy ( with almost all riders being season pass holders I would imagine) whereas others it is virtually empty.

One of the positive blips in Japan`s " don`t think, just do" social collectivism. It`s no one`s specific job to ask whether the nighter is worthwile for business, therefore no one asks.

so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Actually someone at the resort told me that running the chairs is surprisingly cheap. Doubt a few hours makes a massive difference. Those lights literally burn power though.

The other thing to be considering in all this is the advantage of having a good nighta in the promotional sense.

It is often said you cant buy good publicity ... but you bloody can! And providing things that other places don't can be just that ... good publicity. What is your point difference, why should Mr Money to Burn HolidayMaker choose YOUR resort over the other 5 he/she is looking at?

facilities, inclusions and things like a good nighta can mean your resort thrives while the neighbours is stagnant. Perhaps the Nighta itself is not making money, but perhaps the fact that the resort HAS nighta is the reason there are double the numbers coming to your resort over the stagnant neighbours resort in the first place.

Maybe I am blowing smoke....but it is all worth consideration.

Originally Posted By: XilR8
Actually someone at the resort told me that running the chairs is surprisingly cheap. Doubt a few hours makes a massive difference. Those lights literally burn power though.

nah, think of it this way, 1kg up 1 meter in 1 second. Then imagine how heavy each gondola is, how many gondolas there are and how much friction to overcome.

Back of envelope but

100,000 a night

Say five hours so 20,000 an hour.

Guess 12 yen/kWh commercial rate.

That would make it 1600kW of lighting.

As a comparision,a quick google says City of Manchester Stadium uses 436kW for its floodlights.

When I first came here I used to do a fair bit of nighta, but haven't at all this last few. Last time I did go it was very quiet and it seems that way when I drive past as well. It just seems to be much less popular now. Round these parts anyway.

I go the nighta most weekedays with the kids racing team.

Besides the racing club - there are not many punters, not sure what it is like at the weekend.

Where do you do the nighta stemik?

The best one in Niigata I reckon is Ishiuchi Maruyama. They light up a fair big part of that resort.

Finished for the season now though.

Originally Posted By: sanjo
Where do you do the nighta stemik?

Usually on Happo- but they finished early this season.
Now training on Goryu - much better for the kids