you mentioned about all the reasons why i dont want to live in tokyo.

I figure this into the japan package at day at vail will run you what 75 US whats that 9000 yen?

japanese tickets being half of that so it goes both ways. we have to find ways to cheapen up this sport before it just gets to be like a sports game. 150 a popto watch grown men act like kids. to nurture the sport it has to be affordable for the young guns.

You can take the morning train to gunma and be sking before 10 isnt that cheaper.

BM's shink story is how I remember the experience. It seemed fun for a while but man, the effort just to hit the snow for a day or two was huge. It got to the stage where I could no longer be bothered near the end of the season.

This years snow budget allocation is a fraction of last years, so I will be planning a little better and staying in cheaper places. As for 'comfort'.... I define that as a private room, heater, own shower and toilet. For the sake of a weekend away, I do not need anymore than that.

thrills OR comfort, either way you just gotta have a plan.

If you are going for comfort, a good plan (finding the best deals and routes) can save you 50% easy.

If you are going for thrills, a good plan can get you to the mountain when you want to be there with the right people, good food, nice place to stay if you need it, for little more than bare-bones budget, and to me pulling up to an empty lot and a mountain full of powder is the best piece of mind you can find.

my requiremtents for accomadation are

1. dry

2. not smelly in a bad way

other factors disappear from memory shortly after the event and as such are of no real consequence.

as for travel, the bus to the slopes wears down a man's spirit. but happy slidin' rejuves a broken man, so it evens out in the short term.

• 2 weeks later...

Right - all that stuff sucks, but you do get to live in Tokyo, which happens to think is a pretty damn big bonus. But I realize I amy be in the minority in my love for the hussle and bussle.

Here's a tip: buy a season's pass. You will always want to go to get the average price per day number down and you will never think "well, I would go, but I don't want to pay for a lift ticket." Plus you never have to feel guilty about only riding for 2-3 hours (this is of course if you live nearby a mountain).

Im with Mikazooki

the more comfort I sacrifice the more thrill I can get seems to be the way my life goes. But having said that a good splurge every now and again is good for the soul, but usually on stuff that I need or plane tixs etc.

I hardly ever spend significant money on accom, as long as I wont get bitten by bugs or freeze to death or endanger myself then Im more than happy to sleep just about anywhere. The same goes with meals, if Im away I dont usually want to spend much as it means less booze I can afford ;\)