Was in Osaka on business in July and went to this huge 10-storey sports retail complex called SPOTAKA - which apparently stands for Sports Takahashi. To my delight, they were previewing 03/04 snowboard equipment but unfortunately none of the items were for sale.

Anyway, I need to get some new boots and I had my eyes on the Vans Fargo with BOA (btw, I'm not trying to start a debate between different lacing systems) so I'm wondering where I might find Vans boots in Tokyo seeing that's where I'm heading to next week. Does anyone have any good recommendations for snowboard gear shopping in Tokyo ... outlets etc. How much more expensive are the prices in Tokyo compared to what you can find in the States?

Cheers people!

Earlier topics have covered this more completely so wise to check them, but Ochanomizu (spelling?) has a lot of good stores. Prices vary, depends what you buy when you buy. Japanese tend to want the latest so for last years gear you can get some mad discounts! I love it there.

Happy shopping. \:\)

big ones all year round yes.

if you plan to go to a big city find out the shops and go there. and or search yahoo japan auctions for deals lots there. do it with a friend if you cant understand. clothes can be found cheap at most stores just hit up the older stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

The models disappear altogether after 29, and are hard to find at 28. And with the actual variation in size within boots, that means an American size 10 will be hard to find in exactly what you want. Buy before you come.

Size conversion chart here .

• 3 weeks later...

I went for the full monty and bought the new Contras.

vanscontra.jpg

I have been wearing them around the apartment and I am pretty pleased. We'll see how they perform during primetime, but I am optimistic. I am pretty excited for LAB (life after Boa).

The Contras will be paired up with my new Ride Teams I shelled out for.

rideteam.jpg

After those two purchases (along with some gogs and a couple other minor things) I had to pass on a new board. This bad boy should keep me happy through the season. If not I occasionally see a nice board or two hanging around near the curry shop at the bottom of the hill. ;\)

• 4 weeks later...

Got these babies from Tokyo with a stinking Tokyo mark-up but when I tried them on it felt like a post-natal genetic extension of my feet ... plus the guy gave me a 5% discount so hey ... 10043.jpg

Then bought these mofo bad boys on-line and they, in turn, felt like a post-industrial manufactured addition to what felt like a post-natal genetic extension of my feet ... can't be wrong even at the cost of virtual bankrupcy. Plus (as a mild claim to fame), I've hung out with the engineer who designed the Flights and he says they're forgiving enough even for an utter spastic like me.

eboardcentral_1765_1261104

As for board, I'm still keeping with my Salomon 450 cos they are just NICE

Hey enderzero, forgot to compliment you on your rocking selection ... respeKt ... looks like you went for a stiffer boot and complimented the set up with a more mobile binding. I went the other way but only because the contra felt weird when I tried them on and the MIGs just look f**king hardcore in my opinion. Happy riding. Would be useful if you can tell us how your set up feels once you've had a few goes.