Just seeing all the fuss on the tv right now about that sumo wrestler showing so much emotion on winning at the weekend. Some old schoolers seem ever so upset about it.

AND he had a hangover and was late for his interview veryshocked

Is this guy a gaijin wrestler (would guess so!)?

DISGUSTING I say!

That sumo wrestler would be Asashoru, he is a Yokozuna and from Mongolia.

He shed some tears after winning this months basho. He had missed most of the last 4 tornaments, and won despite most writing him off!

Most don't like his attitude, he doesn't act like a proper sumo wrestler.

It was the 'over the top' Gatsu pouzu that fuddy-duddies are taking issue with as well..... something about kami-san (an insult to him perhaps?) they said on the news this morning. Didn't quite catch exactly what they said.

I like Asashoryu cos he has attitude and the Japanese all despise him. Also he seems to be quite the businessman, like a Beckham of sumo, and has all kinds of projects going back in mongolia. He is taking all that money out of JP and putting it into his home country. I think he is even setting up or involved in some kind of mongolian sumo league/organisation.

But I agree to that the traditions of sumo should be respected, it is the only sport where no celebration/personal emotion is allowed and in that way I like it. He needs to tone that side down a bit I think. Sumo compares well to something like American Football or any other US sport where they are constantly showboating/bragging/winding each other up etc. I like American football but the behaviour of the players is closer to American Wrestling, so over the top. They are like little 5 year olds, but that is why I like to watch it.

Sumo has none of that crap because of its ancient history, connection to religion, and the general formality of Japanese culture. I think this makes it unique and they should fight to protect that, even if they have to ban Asashoryu and battle him later when he has got a rival organisation up and running.

I used to enjoy watching it, but the last few years I haven't been interested at all. The Taka and Waka brothers with Akebono and Konishiki were interesting.

Wonder what Konishiki looks like now. He used to be on telly a lot, but haven't seen him for a few.

• 2 weeks later...