looking at some of the snow cams for various resorts it looks like there was a bit of damage to the snow base from the rain; Niseko in particular.

Interested to here whether there has been much damage from folks on the spot in the various resorts.

Haven't been out since Friday but we haven't really had much rain here in southern Niigata. As it stands I doubt much damage. Could do with some decent snowfall though (as always!)

I'm eyeing up Wednesday as my next day out.

Left Niigata just before the rain on Sunday so can't really comment on that, however, it had really warmed up by about 2pm yesterday making the snow super heavy!! I can imagine that had any rain fallen on snow in that condition it would have done a lot of damage... might take a few good dumps to get back to normal!

Originally Posted By: samwillis5
looking at some of the snow cams for various resorts it looks like there was a bit of damage to the snow base from the rain; Niseko in particular.

Interested to here whether there has been much damage from folks on the spot in the various resorts.

There was hardly any rain at all in Niseko and the damage minimal. There was some continuing wet snow/sleet through today and certainly it aint powdery at the base anymore. But it is snowing currently and any damage will easily be repaired.
Niseko in particular.

A little rain will hardly make a dent on a three meter base. Ruin the surface conditions, yes, but not "damage" the base. We're talking 3 meters - not 30 centimeters. With any luck the mountain will be re-surfaced in a couple of hours once the snow starts anyway.

good thread it has bought a smile to my face. I must admit I to was a little concerned as a couple of the web cams I looked at also showed more slush and less snow. It is always much appreciated the expert advice of the locals like GN & MP.

Please don't get angry with us we are thousands of miles away and SO EXCITED about our trips that the thought of a 3mt base is just to much to comprehend. I love Japan at a 2mt base but at 3 mt I am beside myself plus I talked all my friends into coming so a good season will be a bonus.

Snowhuntress, i'm in the same boat, talked a few friends into coming along after the great time I had there last year, now with 11 days until we arrive i'm getting nervous about the weather as I really want these guys to experience some of that great powder. I should be a lot happier this time next week when I can see the 7 day forcast. Fingers crossed for both of us.

I'm hearing you R. Funny if it was just you going you wouldn't be as stressed as you are now you have built Japow up and talked them into coming with you and dumping their usual boring holidays lol nothing like a little stress.

Yep that 7 day weather forecast becomes an essential daily viewing just before you leave.

I meant damage Generally. Sorry, I wasnt very accurate/specific.

Thanks for the reply's.

Forecasts show the cold weather coming back with a vengeance after Friday so all is good.

Snowhuntress, similar story here. Group of 11 - i convinced them all to change from Whislter to Japan and to extend from 2 weeks to 3. Not stressed though, being on holiday in Japan is better than working anywhere.

just got in from a quick early morning few runs, the 10-15cm from last night was like butter, doesn't look like much damage at all to me...cold weather coming back, season has been pretty much ON for the last month...enjoy

i convinced them all to change from Whislter to Japan and to extend from 2 weeks to 3.

Bold move. Whistler's incredible. Snow's definitely better at Niseko though. Plus I'd imagine Niseko's cheaper (?) and more culturally interesting. Lot's of Aussies around in both places of course... smile

culturally different for sure. both are very interesting

Japan definately cheaper - or at least was when we booked in June while the Aus $ was getting 105 yen. Now that it is at 55 yen I think we are going to spend as much again on food, drink, ski-hire etc etc.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
"and more culturally interesting"

oh dear, I sense an outcry wink

Yeah, I thought about that. Say what you will about Niseko, but Whistler's pretty culturally bleak IMO.

One thing I've really noticed in Niseko this season is that it's become a lot more multicultural. Heaps more Europeans than I've seen previously and a heap more from SE Asia. Also had quite a lot of Americans coming this year. Certainly the predominance of Aussies has lessened somewhat. With the state of the Aussie peso that's hardly surprising I guess.