Cant believe its actually about to REALLY happen. Leave on the 22nd arrive the 23rd.......Havent book any accom yet but not stressed. Thinking Tokyo for a nite then off to Nozawa Onsen for 6 nights, then Shiga Kogen for 6 nights, 2 nights Kyoto then Hakuba to hook up with a group of close mates from Feb 8 for 9 nights then we are all heading to Tokyo for 4 nights... Am totally amped, Just wish I had of continued the traning I started 3 months ago. smile smile

Hoping to meet a few folks from here, learn how to ride again and get some great runs and big smiles.

PS Thanks for all the advice to date guys, really have appreciated it.

I'm probably visiting Happo one, but havent decided where to stay yet.

Happy to catch up at lunchtimes and do something. I do Gym at lunchtimes on Mondays and Fridays, so free most other times.

(I also do taekwondo and kickboxing 5 times a week and i teach kickboxing, so happy to show you some moves if yr interested.

PM me sometime and we can exchange details

6 weeks for me... I'll be catatonic by the time I get on the plane.

Pete: You'll probably be able to just rock up to the accommodation counter at Narita and they'll find you something. Fortunately, when you land doesn't coincide with any major holidays and if you are looking for single rooms, they can be found anywhere. If you get stuck, try Toyoko Inns. They seem to offer a no-frills business hotel for a decent price.

Last year we did the same thing. The customs officer looked slightly surprised when he asked where we were staying (No where planned). When we landed coincided with the Chinese New Year, a Japanese holiday (kenkoku kinenbi) and the Tokyo marathon, so accommodation was pretty scarce, let alone 2 twin rooms. We ended up getting a really nice (slightly pricey) hotel. But at least they found us something....

You'll have a ball.

Quote:
dance @Matt!!

Just 3 more sleeps in Oz!! razz

That's just mean...

My girlfriend is actually looking forward to me leaving now because I won't shut up about it. I've been watching that new Travis Rice DVD (Thats it, Thats all) on loop for the last week and a half. I've never been snowboarding before but at the same time I've never been so excited in all my life.

Ah good times are a given.

Pete,

Do you mean that you haven't booked any accommodation at all? I really wouldn't leave it until you get here. Places like Shiga Kogen have limited accommodtion and you may find that what is available is not necessarily where you want to be - or what you want is only available for part of your stay (as of course weekends are busier than weekdays).

So...don't be scared of somebody answering the phone in Japanese, get on to it!

Good luck with your preparations.

SdS

Hi SdS

Am having a little bit more luck in the last 24 hrs getting it sorted and as someone has pointed out most hotels will be busy with the end of NYE .... smile Looks like I have the time at Hakuba sorted and perhaps Nozawa but am yet to sort out Shiga, hopefully seeing how large it is I can get that sorted, failing that will hang at Nozawa Onsen longer before heading to Kyoto for a few days. One days less travel is appealing too but am keen for a couple of nights out as Im travelling alone up until Hakuba and am keen to meet some new folks.

Thanks Tubby, am looking into it now. Looks like a great option as it seems to be a smaller village experience then Shiga Kogen. Really must go see the snow monkeys though so hopefully on the way past. Just need to sort out an easy way to get between the two. smile

Aaagh, you are beating me by a day!

I arrive (for my first time in Japan) on 24th. Meeting a mate there who works in Beijing and we are off to Niseko for 6 days then back for a weekend in Tokyo before heading off for 6 days in Hakuba.

I am as excited as a dog with two whatsits!

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Hey Gareth tried to PM you but got a message saying you cant accept PMs.

My email is panhead_pete@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Hi Pete, just tried to PM you, but it said "PMs disabled"

Sent you an email but not sure if youve seen it.

gimme a call at the office, 9429 9711

Cheers

Gareth