Interesting stats on downloaded music

Found this interesting.

I'm presuming it leaves out all the "illegal" stuff. wink

Quote:
The arrival of downloading music online has meant that more and more tracks have been available to the general public than ever before.

The problem with this is consumers haven't been able to see the wood for the trees and have decidedly stuck to what they know when downloading music.

Recent figures suggest that out of the 13 million tracks available for download, just 52,000 songs made up 80 per cent of music purchased online.

When it comes to albums, a staggering 1.23 million albums were made available with just 173,000 bought – which equates to 85 per cent of bands and singers who released an album this year did not sell one single copy.

New schools meet old rules

These online music statistics were compiled by Will Page, chief economist of the MCPS-PRS Alliance, and Andrew Bud, the head of mobile software company mBlox.

Speaking to the Times about their findings, Bud said: "There is an eerie similarity between a digital and high-street retailer in terms of what constitutes an efficient inventory and the shape of their respective demand curves.

"I think there's something more going on there: a case of new schools meets old rules."

No...

I used to work in a music shop way back in the dark ages when CD's were the NEW thing, and we had about 20 titles total - the majority of sales were still LP and Cassette. It was my first real job the summer between Yr10 and Yr 11 (84/85).

Records and Cassette that did not sell and we decided to pull got sent back to the record company, so the store was not taking the hit by holding that stock. That always struck me as odd - I would have thought the responsibility to buy well and move stock was on the business owner rather than the wholesaler...

Brave new world this digital age.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I never liked cassettes, who bought those?

I did, had a biggish collection, for play in the car mainly. Only ever bought a few vinyl albums. Went early into CD's and recently tossed out all my cassettes, mainly because I never listen to them anymore. Download a few tracks from iTunes if I can't be bothered buying the whole album.