A new Setting Journals feature, "Answers to Questions asked of a Resort - Part 2 of 2", has been put online.

Back in spring, Arai resort kindly agreed to answer questions sent in directly by Snow Japan readers. This feature is the second part of those answers.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-13.html

"Before I get back into "the thick of things", I decided to look up the definition of "Forum", as I found the forum thread linked to the first part of this article very informative. To be clear, I took a few hits and that is okay as in most cases perhaps I deserved them. No doubt the forum linked to the text below will also provide more of the same, which will no doubt teach me something new. Thanks for contributing!"

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-13.html

As is mentioned at the bottom of the Feature if you have any further questions for the resort, feel free to send them in to us at editor@snowjapan.com and we will pass them on.

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Quote:
Q: “If you signed up for the early bird and parted with your cash, how would you feel if upon reaching the peak multiple tracks had already been laid?
Er, very likely not very happy.

But I won't do the thing at that price, bring it down a bit and I might ;\)

But if others will pay then sell it to them. Its all about skiing with not many people about (first) and the most profitable way to do that is to select that small number of people by pricing it so only a small number will do it. If they made it cheap then they would have to use a first come first served system or a lottary to limit numbers. At least if it is restricted by price you can do it if you choose to rather than only if you can book it early enough.

The long term plan should have a park in it.

PS its nota fad. parks have been around for 10 years. A night park would go some way to bringing the nighta into or near the black. A visable park is very exciting, thus most ski resorts keep them down low if they can.

Besides insurance it takes nothing to make a basic park. try just a small one a rail or 2 and a couple of hits ranging in size.

I didn't go last season but I remember there being a couple of things on the long course that comes down the left side as you look up the hill.

It was early April when I was there.

Thats where it is, but from what I remember not too much going on.

Apart from that though, I really like the place the two times I've been there. The snow was great, and the surroundings make a change from the farmer-lift-boys type other places that I usually go to.

\:D

We wait with baited breath ;\)

Thanks for that second lot, even if some don't like the answers put forward, obviously put some effort into it.

Anyways, I also was wondering about the nighta and if any effort is put into. How long is the season for DECENT nighta? You know, with good snow not where its like a skating rink. (Honest answer please, not marketing talk!)

Everything about these Q&As suggests that Arai was made for rich people and families, and that while lone powder pigs are not actually unwelcome, nothing has been done, nor will be done, to appeal to them.

Of course you wouldn't expect Blair to come out and say that as it would be a major gaffe, but it's clear from the subtext.

Nothing to appeal to powder hounds? :rolleyes:

Well, they've got a large conditional area that gets full of powder and an extra bit at the top that gives you a pretty decent return on the minor effort involved hiking it. There are some good lines right there for everyone and you don't have to go looking for it, getting stuck, taking an unexpected dip, or whatever in the process.

They built the resort in a place that sounds like it gets more snow than anywhere in Shinshu. I'm just a daytripper, but go on the right day and you'll have a good time. It's not my favourite, but it's worth going for sure in powder season. Our man enderzero came back raving about it the first time. He doesn't seem to work anymore, so he can't be a high roller! lol.gif

I don't know what the deal is with the budget accomodation they suggested in the first article, but if its any good and not all that far to drive, it could work out no more expensive than going to many other resorts (Hakuba excepted).

Nothing in terms of marketing, pricing, or facilities. :rolleyes:

Even the early morning powder thing is elitist and money grubbing - putting a huge premium on first tracks. Not first to get there, but those with enough money.

All that is of course fine if that's what they want to do with their place. I'm just not surprised it's not the favourite place of any of the powder pigs that I know - because it's not supposed to be.

I agree with the money grabbing but every resort in north america has the first tracks program, they are pricy and for the rich.

To be honest I could fit all of Arai into the one bowl at fernie. If your gonna charge me that much to ski there, then it better be just as good or better. I dont care how much anyone raves about the place it is no fernie.

Service is all well, said and done but you got to get them to the hills. The Japanese market is shrinking so how do you get whats left to choose your resort?

You need to seem to welcome everyone.

You need to be progessive and a trend maker.

Too be honest ARAI was a trend setter about 5 years ago. ITs time to go looking for a new trend or latch on to an existing one.

A plan is know good if its not flexible. If there is no room to see another road then you have a bad plan.

Kids, teens, college kids and young professionals are your future and should be a target market. If you ignore the future for the present you will have no future.

I know that this is your first post so you havent followed what I have been saying for a year.

There are markets for small hills, learning and such. A pretty successfull one is glen eden in Ontario Canada. They offer lessons like crazy, but also have 2 parks, a small mogul field, race course and 2 half pipes. They make a lot of money off of night sking cause they look to the future kids. They understand their own market.

I have said many times the Costs at Arai do not fit into my budget. If the place is going to charge 5000 per ticket I do expect something, wouldnt you? I look and compare cost I think that is a reasonible thing to do.

Part of the reason I dont go to hakuba 47 a lot is the high price too. The chance of my pass bening lost doesnt justify the cost.

Links to compare

http://www.snow-guide.com/gfx/trailmaps/bc05tm01f.jpg

http://www.gleneden.on.ca/aboutus.shtml

http://www.araimntspa.com/white-season/courses.html

http://www.snow-guide.com/lifttickets.cfm/bc05.htm

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php?resid=29 http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

Here are links to prices maps and some info.

Fernie and Arai will offer cheaper tickets sometimes, so this is a standard comparison.

edited my post so check above for links to compare.

To be honest I dont want to go to crappy little hills so I really dont think about it. 200 a day would put them out of bussiness. One thing we are seeing now in Japan is a balancing act taking place. Things store resorts that cant find markets are finally closing. It is sad but it makes those that have markets stronger.