hey all.

myself and some mates are planning a trip to Japan in late february next year. we think we've nailed it to either niseko or myoko - but given the way resorts are in japan, we're finding it a headmash on which one to go for.

any one got any thing to say to help us make a decision ?

cheers!

Both are great resorts but certainly have very different atmospheres.

Niseko is very english speaker friendly and has a large foreign presence. It has some of the best apres ski entertainment in the country along with a wide range of restaurants. Hell we even have an Irish bar now!

Myoko will definitely be more of a Japanese experience as it won't be inundated with foreigners. I will let someone who has actually been there extoll it's other virtues.

I have been to both more than once. In my humble opinion, Niseko wins hands-down. The two don't belong in the same category, again imho. Where to begin? Niseko is glorious, grand. Myoko is "merely" a good resort of several of its kind in Honshu. The choice of restaurants and accomodation in Niseko is far larger and better than in Myoko. As has been mentioned, Niseko is an international resort. I am a fairly fluent Japanese speaker (I have lived in Japan for 11 years now) so I don't need the English language access but I enjoy the international atmosphere in Niseko immensely while in Myoko I found it hard to amuse myself at night. Really, no comparison. If you want a Honshu resort that can hold its candle to Niseko I would recommend Hakuba.

I haven't done Niseko but I can see the above certainly being the case. It will for sure be very different. But Myoko is a good mountain.

I'm also curious as to why you are trading those two against each other?

I can only speak of my experience in Niseko. For us it was a great introduction to skiing in Japan as it wasn't a total necessity to be able to speak Japanese and the introduction to Japanese food was made easier with such a huge variety available in Niseko (however we only had Japanese while we were there).

This year I have learnt a little more Japanese and will practise it while in Niseko ready for, hopefully, a trip to another resort in 2010!!

You know what I don't think you will be disappointed wherever you go in Japan. smile

wow - thanks all. i only just got a chance to check back.

i came to those two resorts based on a colleagues recommendation and then having a look around some websites.

as the message title suggests - i have no idea about japan. will be in japan for a bout 2 weeks.

thanks again!!