Ok thought I would start a tea thread as there doesn't seem to be one.

Just wondering how many here are like me are totally addicted to English tea?

I have stacks of English tea in my house, tetley, waitrose, which is tetley and also yorkshire tea.

Although I am in Japan I rarely drink Japanese tea, it just doesn't do it for me.

I drink about 10 cups a day if I am at home.

If I am out for a few days I always bring tea bags with me, heaven forbid if I had to drink the stuff here they call tea.

Although Doutor tea actually is drinkable, except for the horrible cream they give you to put in it.

Also why is it that Japanese people love Earl Grey, I can't stand that stuff it tastes like flowers dipped into dish water. Is it just me or do us British all feel the same?

Just wondered if their are any others that can't live without their English tea here or am I the only one?

By the way for any tea drinkers here you can buy waitrose tea from the peacock super markets if you are in Tokyo.

According to a speech given last night by a teacher at my graduating son's school .... he recommends "the copious drinking of English Tea as evidenced by his own experiece, his youthful appearance, ripping abs and astounding virility"... the kids laughed long and loud.

Mind you he also recommended "wearing a pink shirt on Wednesdays, as it is good for the soul."

I drink tea (and coffee).

I understand your preference for English Tea - and feel that Earl Grey and Japanese Tea are certainly aquired tastes for those used to drinking English Tea. However over recent years I have acquired those tastes!

thumbsupMy beverage larder is currently stocked with at least 10 different tea's - if not more - some more suited to certain times than others. Sometimes I go for the exotic, sometimes the soothing comfort of English Tea, and sometimes the cleansing clarity of Japanese Tea ... Probably the most powerful tea I had recently was a T2 Chai Tea ... ohhhh my goodness! That one bag could have made an entire pot of aromatic kapow ... I will know better next time.

tea, Why?? I prefer my drugs unadulterated. Caffeine without the tannins and other stuff in tea. In other words, I prefer (good) coffee. Failing that, and I mean if instant is all that's available, I'll have water, thanks.

Originally Posted By: thursday
drink it neat

I see. I can drink straight tea, but prefare a little cold milk with my tea.

I wonder actually does any one do like the Japanese do here and put hot milk in their tea, now that is perverse. It tastes absolutely bloody awful!

Don't know how many times I have had to tell the waitress to take it back and bring me normal cold milk! What are they thinking of!

I'm the same Snowdude. i get my family to send me as many teabags as possible. I also don't like Earl Grey and also think it tastes like flowers!! Good old Scottish Blend is the bag of choice for me, if not then Tetleys will do, in fact most any of the name supermarket bags. Japanese tea (Not green tea) is too heavy on the tannins, coats my teeth and it feels horrible. I like Green tea though.

Originally Posted By: snowdude

I drink about 10 cups a day if I am at home.
If I am out for a few days I always bring tea bags with me, heaven forbid if I had to drink the stuff here they call tea.

That's dedication Snowdude.

Interesting, seems only Japanese like Earl Grey, and naturally people here think that all British must like Earl Grey and are rather surprised when I tell them I hate the stuff and that no one in England drinks it except maybe the royal family?

I drink it upon occassion, but it is not an easy drinking tea. You gotta be in the right mood. I tend to get a tea bag of it amongst my assorted selection packs - so we use them up - but they are not the preferred choice.

NOW ... what about spiced apple cider? The Papabear is addicted to the stuff - and of course not being able to buy it in Australia (well not in an instant form anyway) he hangs out for parcels from the USA. He has been OUT for a while now and a parcel from the USA containing some sachets is down the local PO right now. I will collect it tomorrow for him.

Anyone else like Spiced Apple Cider?

I love Earl Grey! Its the king of teas!

Recently I also got into chrsyanthemum tea (spelling?), I bought a load in shanghai and have one every night. My wife reckons you cant get it in japan which is weird cos its popular even in the UK.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I drink it upon occassion, but it is not an easy drinking tea. You gotta be in the right mood. I tend to get a tea bag of it amongst my assorted selection packs - so we use them up - but they are not the preferred choice.

NOW ... what about spiced apple cider? The Papabear is addicted to the stuff - and of course not being able to buy it in Australia (well not in an instant form anyway) he hangs out for parcels from the USA. He has been OUT for a while now and a parcel from the USA containing some sachets is down the local PO right now. I will collect it tomorrow for him.

Anyone else like Spiced Apple Cider?

Can't say I have ever tasted Spiced Apple Cider, but I use to drink apple cider when I was in the UK, which I liked.
So is Spiced apple cider a spicy version of normal cider?

Oops are you talking about the alcohol beverage here or spiced apple cider tea? I was talking about the alcohol beverage which I like.

Snowdude it is a hot apple cider that is spiced with cinnamon and cloves and other stuff like that - also a bit of sugar I think. Basically mulling spices.

I have made some using regular apple juice and whole spices brewed in my crockpot (for Christmas in July), but the ones Papa likes are the sachets of instant Alpine Spiced Apple Cider - less floaty bits and easy to make (just add hot water).

It is a US thing.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Snowdude it is a hot apple cider that is spiced with cinnamon and cloves and other stuff like that - also a bit of sugar I think. Basically mulling spices.

I have made some using regular apple juice and whole spices brewed in my crockpot (for Christmas in July), but the ones Papa likes are the sachets of instant Alpine Spiced Apple Cider - less floaty bits and easy to make (just add hot water).

It is a US thing.

Ok now I'm clear, never tried that, but sounds good actually!

We only drink Earl Grey at home (Twinings), we drink ocha sometimes - usually when having daifuku or such like. I drink 'brown tea' (tetleys, PG etc) at work but have it with sugar otherwise its undrinkable as the tap water in central London is foul.In Japan I enjoy ocha but father in law's tea is so bitter it makes my toes curl so I only drink the first 'quick' brew. Up until 10 yrs ago I only ever drank strong fresh coffee, but Mrs T has converted me to tea.....so there you go, Japanese converts Igirisujin to ko-cha. Rightio I'm off for a cuppa.........

I'm not a hardcore tea drinker but if I could have any tea the Yorkshire Gold would be it. I love it but have never seen it here and don't expect to ever see it in Kutchan.

I don't mind Earl Grey either but honestly, give me a good Espresso or Macchiato any day