Touch pad on notebook computer

I don't know the official name for it, but does anyone here actually use those touch pad things on a notebook computer? Or even perhaps the little nipple bud thing that some of them have? I really can't cope with either, I really really need my mouse.

The guy who sits next to me uses that pad and always seems to be having trouble with it. I have asked him a few times why he doesn't just get a mouse, but he seems to enjoy the struggle.

the touchpad is a bit annoying, so too the nipple. But if you're out and about with it, then the nipple is your bets bet.

Mouse always the best.

For a moment I thought you were on about the touchscreen things. Then they are called tablet computers.

I used to just use the touch pad on my old laptop (3 years service) - I had the odd time when I found it annoying but mostly it was fine.

This new laptop came with it's own little mouse - now I use both. The touchpad is dual purpose on this one and one little tap on it changes it from a standard touchpad navigation thingo to a multimedia controller. I like that coz I can click away with the mouse and control the volume from the touchpad. EASY.

I'm fine with the touchpad, as long as I disable the 'scroll' functions. I used to own a Toshiba with a nipple, which did give me the irrits.

I agree mice are best, but sometimes I find myself using the computer where there isn't anywhere for the mouse to roam.

There's this piece of real estate to either side of the touchpad where a mouse can be used anytime. I often use a small optical mouse with a retractable cord when on the move.

Agree that the nipple is a PITA, and note that many newer lappy's do not have them any more. because of the fat fingers I inherited from my genetics, I find the touchpad also to be a PITA and avoid it as much as possible.

The nipples make me want to cry.

Touchpad is not much better, somehow the pointer always seems to jump randmoly around and appear in the corners etc. Makes me mad thinking about it.

A friend swears by touchballs, I might try one. NOt that its anything new, but its seems more ergonomic than a mouse.

Have to say I always use my mouse unless I am out somewhere with my laptop, the mouse is so much easier. But actually once you get use to the touch pad it is easy enough to use, but slow when you want to do scrolling or editing I find.

When I first got my laptop, I hated the touchpad - I even dug an old corded mouse from the junk box. Because I am using the laptop on the road a lot (trains, planes, cafes, etc.) there is often nowhere to use the mouse, so I was forced to get accustomed to the touchpad. The old mouse is back in the junk box now. If I'm home, I'm using a desktop.

Between the touchpad and the nipple, I'll take the touchpad. The nipple is nice in that the velocity-sensitive (the harder you lean on it, the faster the cursor moves) interface is very intuitive. Most touchpads are also velocity-sensitive where a quick flick of the finger will move the cursor further than a slow drag, but it isn't as predictable and foolproof. Touchpads are "clickable" by tapping in most cases, so you can get more done with fewer fingers.

trouble with the stoopid nipple thing is that it gets in the way when typing! Whenever docked, I use an external keyboard and mouse, when mobile, I'll take the mouse but I sure wish I could ditch the teat!

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
They should move the nipple outside the keyboard!

Yep, right into the bin alongside it! As I said, not many of the newer lappys have them, most now use the scroll function on the touchpad, which is nearly (but not quite) a good idea!

The only thing I've used with the nipple was an old IBM (pre-Lenovo).

I've gotten used to the scrolling on the touchpad. It took a while to get used to tapping the very corners for the Windows key, maximize, and minimize on my machine.