Hurray for Swindon!

Quote:
Swindon has became the first town in the UK to do away with fixed-point speed cameras.

The nine-strong cabinet of the Tory-run council voted unanimously in favour of withdrawing from the Wiltshire and Swindon Safety Camera Partnership.

The idea of withdrawing was first suggested 12 months ago by Peter Greenhalgh, councillor for highways in Swindon.

This came after a change to the way fixed-point cameras were funded. Mr Greenhalgh objected to central Government receiving the cash from fines while Swindon Council had to pay for the upkeep of the cameras.

Many speeding cameras in Japan? Not that I was looking of course and didn't spend much time on roads, but I didn't notice them like you notice them ever 50m or so here in the UK now.

No Japan is nothing like the UK, UK now is terrible, when I went back last year couldn't believe the number of cameras every few metres. They have them here in Japan mainly on the motorways, but not that many though, but in general easy to spot, as they are on the bridges. They occasionally have some hidden, but few and far between.

There are quite a few speed cameras around here. Don't tell anyone but I have a unique solution (hushed voice)....... I stick to the speed limit.

If you want sneaky speed cameras drive on the French auto routes. They're very hard to spot and by the time you see them its too late because,I think, they clock you as you approach them.

Muppets

hehe

German traffic police have been left looking like proper muppets by a British prankster. An Audi TT with British registration plates has been repeatedly caught speeding on roads in the Bavarian city of Bayreuth. But because continental speed cameras are set up for left-hand drive vehicles, the cameras keep missing the driver’s face.