Kuma - I reckon if a person is getting face shots on a snowboard then they are sliding sideways in powder ie, not riding properly, I used to do it all the time. I think its called white-rooming. Perhaps skiers do the buried face shot thing as it looks dramatic in photos and because some of them can't or don't like swooping and surfing on powder. I really like skiers that ride powder like they are on a snowboard.

That is a really nice powder pic in Niseko, but it does indeed look a bit flat. Get a run up and chuck one buried turn in front of the camera then stop ;\)

Quote:
First it shows the angle of the run. Taken straight on so its hard to show the angle. That means that it is steep.
Hehe, your first pic looks super flat and it sounds like you are drawing a long bow, but I know exactly what you mean. Front-on shorts of steeper terrain makes it look almost flat. Steepness is often a physical sensation coming from the surrounding environment. Photos mostly show visual sensational and so miss out on the element of steepness.
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't there so I can't comment from first-hand knowledge but the fellow in the pic isn't one to pose for the heck of it.

I posted it mainly for the quality of the photography. The chap behind the lens knows his stuff.

Horses for courses...

Quote:
I wasn't there so I can't comment from first-hand knowledge but the fellow in the pic isn't one to pose for the heck of it.
oops, I re-read what I wrote and it does sounds like that's what I was getting at (posing for the heck of it). Just to clarify, that wasn't my point, I was more so talking about the common big face shot pics near the photographer. Do they do the entire run buried like that or do they put in an extra effort on that one turn for the pic. In contrast, look at Kuma's snowboard picture on the previous page... that's how a (good) snowboarders does every turn on a powder run: it is consistently impressive, turn after turn. I wasn't meaning to single out the obviously skilled dude in the picture (honest).

And don't you know? You don't have to go to Niseko first hand to poke fun at it ;\)

It's all good, I know what you mean about it being a common 'money' shot.

Anyhoo..more pics!!

Sorry for the bad quality, it's a screen grab from a video. Not a patch on the stuff in this thread but it's me in NZ a month ago.

TC30.jpg

"Perhaps skiers do the buried face shot thing as it looks dramatic in photos and because some of them can't or don't like swooping and surfing on powder."

or perhaps because it is usually a rare occasion and it is really awesome when it happens. usually because there is just SO much snow and going straight fall-line is the only option.

wouldn't going straight fall-line NOT give you face shots? It looks like that dude is turning in the picture.

The thing that I hate about those pics is that it's usually a closeup and you can't tell anything about the slope or the skier. So basically I could take a pic like that.

anyways, here's a snowboarder in deep pow:

kumapix_15.jpg

The buried face shot pics look cool but I don't think it's really practical or even possible to link more than a couple of turns like that. Skiers sink on the turn radius and rise out between turns. You can see it in SA's tracks. Nice. If you hit a drift and really ATTACK the turn you'll sink pretty deep but I think a lot of those pictures are more for effect.

On over the knee days i get face shots on every run really. I depends on how you ski adn how steep it is really. The steeper the line the more the snow explodes. db when i talk about angle look at where the skiers skis are compared to the horizon. There is angle where other front on shots dont have it.

SA I know the skier via the Net and ive told him numerous times that he is wasting his time sking 25 degree runs. As has my mate Janus who sometimes skis with him.

When i ski with Toque or my friend Tats ill say "lets do a warm up in those trees" (about 25 to 35 degrees). They wont do it! Terrain always wins in the end with good riders. I prefer to see a pic in good terrain with knee deep pow than say, a 25 degree powder shot.

When flimming with a camera person you give them options. Crazy fast smooth turns far away, then you give them the money shot close by. Thats why you always see the Face shot pic. Its the dream really yet sometimes not the truth.

this one looks flat too even though its not. It is a good turn really where i built up speed and then popped into this turn. That forced the snow to explode, speed, steepness and pop equals this.

fattwins_17.JPG

Cause toque feels all alone. Its too bad toque this year I have a video camera. Toque really surf the snow and sparys more like a snowboarder.

The Meadow off dreams and slides

fattwins_100.jpg

fattwins_101.jpg

fattwins_102.jpg

fattwins_103.jpg

fattwins_104.jpg

My favorite toque shots of the year. this season im gonna snap a ton of pics.

yep i like them as well. The point being though is what sells for the camera person. Look at the cover of most ski mags every season and youll see the face shot closeup once twice or more. Its the shot that looks good small or large. I perfer a side shot or far away shot myself.