• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

db, where did you find those pics on the web? the second one looks like it could be a mate of mine in fernie in BC. as he dropped into a big bowl. some guy took some snaps and later told us he put them on the web somewhere. it's highly unlikely that this is one of them, and the rocks in the background don't look quite right, but everything else in the photo is eerily familiar

he's not an awesome rider as far as tricks or BIIIIG mountains are concerned- he just likes to scream through trees and powder, but like me, is absolutely useless in the park and pipe. he's just got a light blue jacket and red pants, and the shot looks familiar

but yeah, the rocks don't look like anything we rode there

fattwins, i never went into fish bowl because i have next to no backcountry knowledge - other than a few basic courses - and don't have beacons, poles etc. basically, i have no idea, but i'm keen as to learn

but standing at the edge of the resort at fernie, staring into fish, and watching peple drop lines from the top... tantalising

i heard a rumour (it could be totally baseless) that they want to expand fernie in the not too distant future and maybe include the back bowls behind the peak.

No worries, Spook. I was just being cheeky. I must say though, both of those pjhotos were taken on the two best days on the snow I have had. The top one is Cortina (Japan, not Europe) and the bottom is indeed Laax in Switzerland.

I have checked out Fernie a few times on the net and man it looks good.

Ocean, on the topic of surf and snowboarding:

There is a guy (who happens to be beyond the normal human when it comes to the ocean) who has designed a board that has a hydrafoil fin such that when on a wave the whole board lifts off the surface of the water and is supported only by the 'fin'.... about 2 feet off the water. He is using snowboarding hardboots and step in bindings and is towed onto the wave by a jet ski.

Fish is controlled in some ways so its too bad you didnt jump in there. Fernie does have a plan to open up more terrain but first they need more peps to come. The back area would offer crazy almost treeless lines but staff would have to be doubled and the avie control would increase 3 fold. Im thinking at least 5years down the road before you see that even talked about seriously.

At the bottom of fish there is a cat track back to the haul back lift. groomed after every big storm. but your right not to jump in without knowing.

it's hard to try and keep perspective when looking at untracked pow. i did venture into fish a little, riding conservatively, trying to stick to the ridge and trees, rather than out into the bowl. If something slides, it can go from good to so very bad in a matter of moments, and it would be very foolish to be riding out of bounds if you are totally unprepared - both knowledge and equipment wise.

Have you done that run off the back of the peak in Niseko Hirafu into the other resorts - a big open bowl that funnels into a gully? It looks awesome, and people drop it without avy gear, but for me, i'm not sure that i want to be going in there without knowing what's going on. It's hard pulling yourself back from something that looks so good

I've done some basic avalanche awareness stuff, and want to build it up

That was the best part of Niseko - will definitely do that again this year.

Just make sure that there are others around just in case or rent a walkie-talkie. It does look a bit scary in bad weather - you can't see a thing at all.

Bring a can of 黒生 and enjoy a moment on the peak and don't rush it.