• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ploughmans sandwich is ok.....I miss Branston Pickle!!

JA...you seriously didn't know what a "buttie" was?

I thought that was universal....I was even sure that the Sherman's were aware of its meaning

Originally Posted By: JA
It might if we had a clue what you are talking about! (a butt is the rear end of something?) the concept of dripping bums is not to be discussed in a food thread!

I see you are from one of our colonies. I am quite surprised you do not know what a buttie is. Are your parents not from Anglo Saxon Stock. The great chip buttie made Britain what it was.The days when chips were cooked in beef dripping are sadly long gone sadface only one or two chipies cook this way now. Amen

Had a good one over summer, not in the least bit strange.

It was the size of half a baguette. Brown bread, lots of 'bits'. Stuffed full of chicken breast, freshly fried bacon, egg, onion, tomato, mayonnaise and probably a few other things. Magic it was.

Originally Posted By: Weegeoff
Originally Posted By: JA
It might if we had a clue what you are talking about! (a butt is the rear end of something?) the concept of dripping bums is not to be discussed in a food thread!

I see you are from one of our colonies. I am quite surprised you do not know what a buttie is. Are your parents not from Anglo Saxon Stock. The great chip buttie made Britain what it was.The days when chips were cooked in beef dripping are sadly long gone sadface only one or two chipies cook this way now. Amen

Yes, from WASP stock, but there are over 100 years between my family's most recent interaction with the "old dart" and now. No-one in my family has ever mentioned a buttie.

If they made britain "what it was" what has caused the current situation, ie what caused the decline?

Anyway, having finally found a web reference to the buttie, so I now know what it is (but god only knows why it was "invented"), the burning question of the moment is - what is a "weege off"?

MMT,

That's not strange!! That is entirely normal. Good to see!

When you tire of Marmite, have a try of some really good stuff - Vegemite! looks almost the same but has a totally wonderful flavour. If mum would like, I could get you a small jar and send it over. (Ask mum to pm me if that would be OK)

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
his name is Wee Geoff, ie his name is Geoff and he is vertically challenged

Thanks TB. I get easily confessed! stir

Wee is not a term used with any regularity in Oz (at least not in the East) for vertical challengement. I associate the term with a certain liquid waste product of the body.

I had a double take when I first saw his name and wondered what a weedge was. Thought I'd throw a stir into the pot.

However, "butties" is just wierd! Kiwis might recognise the term, but it ain't common in Oz.

Some mums have no taste, do they! wink

I know some places in Japan where Vegemite isn't available, lucky you that you can get Vegemite there. Maybe mum might buy you some for a special treat (like for your next birthday?)

Originally Posted By: thursday
marmite and vegemite are just staple. Like it more on toast.

They are fundamentally different, though.

Vegemite, once an Australian owned product, but now one of a number of products owned by the KRAFT corporation, is a yeast extract. I love it!

Marmite (I have tried it once and didn't like it) is, I believe, an extract from beef. How it is made, I have no idea, but I do not like the flavour anywhere as much as I like Vegemite.

Best on toast with butter or on rice crackers with plenty of butter.

Yummmmo!

vegemite ...

Quote:
Vegemite dates back to 1922 when the Fred Walker Company, which became Kraft Walker Foods in 1926 and Kraft Foods Limited in 1950, hired a young chemist to develop a spread from one of the richest known natural sources of the vitamin B group - Brewers Yeast.

Following months of laboratory tests, Dr. Cyril P Callister, who became the nation’s leading food technologist of the 1920s and 30s developed a tasty spreadable paste. It came in a two ounce (57g) amber glass jar capped with a Phoenix seal with the label "Pure Vegetable Extract".

In an imaginative approach, Walker turned to the Australian public to officially name his spread. He conducted a national trade-name competition offering an attractive 50 pound prize pool for the finalists. ... and ...

When Australians first heard about Vegemite, a thick, dark English spread (called Marmite) already dominated the spread market

(Source: Kraft Foods website)

Marmite is made by Sanitarium (the company claims it is a "classic Kiwi spread" ... but it appears to have originated in England. It too is a yeast extract, but the flavours are very different. Never have managed to get into marmite, always preferred vegemite.