High importance marker (!) on emails

I have a friend who insists on using the High Importance exclamation mark on all emails that he sends out. It gets annoying. So much so that recently when I have wanted to do it myself I have stopped from doing it because of it's general overuse.

Almost as bad as USING CAPITALS ALL THE TIME.

lol

Do you use ! on emails much?

Only ever use high importance marker for stuff that's - surprise, surprise - of high importance. Always use capitals for start of sentences and for proper names. Any other use of caps in emails is considered shouting and is not nice.

Never.

If I had something really important to send out MAYBE (not shouting, just emphasising)...but is anything I have to say in an email really THAT (emphasising again) important...I think not!

Often have to emphasise an email to a work related person, espec when I require a response within hours instead of "whenever". In that case I do the High Importance and read receipt. Sort of as a reminder that I need something back real sooon.

People who set the RR as default give me the irrits!

Yes Big Will. It send the person an email "read reciept" to say you have read it. But why give an option...that always confuses me.

I also press NO.

But I then usually reply immediately.

In my subtle defiance I feel as though the recipient will know from the fact that I have responded but that they have not recieved a read reciept that I have hit the NO button - therefore signaling to them that I do not wish to comply with thier control. If you know what I mean. They probably don't get it - but I do - and it makes me feel better!

I never have high importance. The reader should know if it's life or death and if they're too lazy to even open the email, then they deserve to die.

Receipts? I never ever send them. Always select "no" to sending receipts. Why give them the satisfaction when you can keep them in doubt.

If you say yes, the system sends a message to the sender to the effect that you have read the email. Nothing more. If you press no, then the system doesn't advise the sender AFAICT.

I use MSGTAG, which silently advises me that the email has been read without giving the recipient an option. It then appends a small message to the email as they read it, which reads like "MSGTAG has advised John that you have read this email."

Originally Posted By: thursday
That's why you have a viewing pane.

Ummm, which "that" would you mean?? I'm not stupid (I don't think so, anyway) but your comment didn't seem related to my post.

So, without any smart cracks, would you mind explaining your post? I have significant difficulty relating what you wrote to my earlier post, or to any other post, for that matter.

Funny! Ha, Ha!

As I said in my earlier post ...

Quote:
I use MSGTAG, which silently advises me that the email has been read without giving the recipient an option. It then appends a small message to the email as they read it, which reads like "MSGTAG has advised John that you have read this email."

This is instead of asking people to acknowledge that they have read the message. It does it without asking them. Much better, and get around the stroppy people who say "no" on principle.