Any resorts investing in new lifts / facilities?

I don't know much about whats going on in places other than where I am (near Niseko / Rusutsu) and was wondering if there were many resorts elsewhere putting up new lifts or improving facilities? I get the impression it's almost the opposite, but tell me that's not the case!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly no new lifts in the places I know. A fair few places have lifts that they no longer operate just standing there. Some licks of paint and facilities improvements going on in some places but nothing major that I know of.

I'd like to know if any resorts are investing in sustainable energy or envionmentally-concious activities.

I heard that Hakuba 47 was doing a little, and they and Nozawa Onsen have stopped using disposable chopsticks, but has anyone heard anything above and beyond that?

Hydro is not bad, but i'm assuming the hydro comes from a dam. Unless the dam has some sort of technology to keep it from silting up it has a limited lifespan. But it is still much better than coal or nuclear.

I suppose the reality is that many resorts are just struggling to survive rather than spending big on lifts or investing in sustainable energy etc other than simple things they can implement.

I am no master, but I have been to more resorts than just one. You spout out about your one resort being the only place that will invest in the next century. You know very little about the industry outside of your isolated experience. Your only advice sounds like a travel company pumping someone to one location, with very little knowledge of what is out there, or the industry as a whole in Japan. Do some bloody research before you post.

http://www.seilbahntechnik.net/nl/lifts/...06e10330e3711e8

Vested interest mate thats all you ever say, so please keep repeating it.

I didnt say where anyone was investing. I was simply stating that your limited knowledge should be taken with a grain of salt.

There above you have links to lifts above and that is just one lift company. Quite frankly I bet you wouldnt even know off the top of your head any others.

The Niseko area is rapidly becoming the Emperor's New Clothes of Japan, dare I say it world skiing/snowboarding.

If the mountain companies don't start investing in their infrastructure pronto - lifts, grooming, signage, transportation - then this area's 'bubble' will burst and people will go elsewhere.

No matter how easy it is to get here, how good the snow is, how accommodating the slopes are, how much English is spoken etc etc etc.

Originally Posted By: MikePow
The Niseko area is rapidly becoming the Emperor's New Clothes of Japan, dare I say it world skiing/snowboarding.

If the mountain companies don't start investing in their infrastructure pronto - lifts, grooming, signage, transportation - then this area's 'bubble' will burst and people will go elsewhere.

No matter how easy it is to get here, how good the snow is, how accommodating the slopes are, how much English is spoken etc etc etc.

Is the resort that bad? Is that what customers say?

it's actually the new find and there are lots of takers, even for remote places around the mountain. yawn And there are takers. Which all goes to show that it is a bubble but it is an elastic one, for the time being. But for that kinda money, it's really no big deal for real players anyway.

It seems Japan is where Iraq/Iran/Pakistan were in the early seventies. Deeply unknown territory full of mysteries if you don't follow Lonely Planet to Niseko and Hakuba.

Dragons are a daily hazard in Tohoku. The Bible will keep you safe.