I used to live near Iiyama and so was close to Nozawa but also some really good places like Madarao and the resorts in Kijimadaira and Kita Shiga area. Don't hear much about them but there are some good places.

Ryuo always seemed to have good snow when I went especially up top of the gondola.

Worth a check between Nozawa and Shiga Kogen I reckon. If anyone wants to know more let me know and I'll post more!

smile

Ryuo is a decent place. Not huge but the snow is usually excellent up there and it never seems to get busy. Kijimadaira doesn't have the snow conditions of Ryuo but has that steep (if somewhat) short course. Both worth a try. There are a few smaller resorts dotted around that little area but those two are the best of the bunch.

Not all of those courses are Kijimadaira. But it is joined up and has a joint ticket with Makinoiri Snow Park which is the area to the right as you look at the mountain from Nozawa.

I like that mountain. Not the biggest or more impressive but some good runs over there. The steep slope is a good challenge too.

The only resort area in Kita Shiga really worth a day is Ryuoo. Usually great snow up top there.

How does the snow compare to Nozawa? They're pretty close so I would expect something of the same, though it's facing a different direction. Me not knowing about these things wouldn't know what that meant.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a day at Ryuo last February. Decent place, though for me just a day place. Up top of the ropeway the snow was excellent. Good views too. Worth a day between SK and Nozawa if you have at least a few at those places.

Like many places now, a weekday is very quiet in these places - you'll have the mountain almost to yourself. The bowl part of the back is well known for generally excellent snow conditions, but sometimes they struggle for snow down at the bottom end.