• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin

Well, while most people were not having problems with that particular issue, it did get us thinking about a few things.

There will be something going top right soon I think as well as some more top changes perhaps coming a bit later on.

friend

Originally Posted By: charlotte
Why would I want to see that dare I ask?

Only if you need to know what the IP Address is so you can set up a network. Mostly used by installers and nerds to setup or muck about with the settings of a network. Ignore it, it'll go away!
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
What do you do with the Command Prompt soubs?

I think the last time I saw that was when Dos V was "in" wink

I use it for command line stuff. Tedious but powefull, and I have some crude science stuff which doesn`t go through windoze.

Matter of fact, I had occasion just last week to rename a whole directory of files from m3p to m4p type. (The ONLY difference is the extension, the file content and structure is exactly the same).

One file at a time in windoze would have taken an evening, one line at the CLI and the whole lot were done in seconds.

Saved a heap of time and stuffing around.

Whippersnappers who think the interface BEGAN with windows 1, and that the internet has always been "the web"! grandpa

• SnowJapan Admin

It seems there wasn't really a problem for most people, but we changed things around a bit for other reasons as well. And you might see some more changes up there in the coming weeks. We might get it right one day. wink

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
What do you do with the Command Prompt soubs?

I think the last time I saw that was when Dos V was "in" wink

I use it for command line stuff. Tedious but powefull, and I have some crude science stuff which doesn`t go through windoze.

I use the command line a lot, but I don't use the standard one called "cmd". I use a powerful version called "bash". One that isn't native to Windows and hence works very well.

The geeks will know where it comes from and everyone else will go WTF and look blank.

What is command line stuff and why do people use it?

I'm really genuinely curious. I use my computer for emails, internet, word processing, spreadsheets and that's about it.

Once you get good at command line work you can do many things far more efficiently than via a GUI. However for the tasks you are performing I don't use the command line either.

The software I am developing generates heaps of data and log files which I need to manage. Some to analyse, lots to trash and others to keep for a rainy day. Easy to pick out and move/delete with a command line.

The application is now big enough that I sometimes forget where in the code stuff happens, so I use a combination of tools (tis why I use bash, cmd can't join command line tools together like bash can) to select the files I want to look at and then to check inside the files for what I'm looking for.

Analysing data and log files is often much easier by stringing a bunch of powerful commands together in a way that is quick and relatively easy, once you've learnt how. Doing the same in a GUI can be very difficult and slow.

Used to use freaking IBM DispalyWrite. Damn, that program was shit. Word is like amillion times better.

I'm glad the Mac came along and Michael Shoff copied it and called it widows.