Niseko - so hows the shops and restaurants etc changing?

(This is an honest, innocent question. Honest).

I haven't been to Niseko but from what I can tell it is getting developed all the time and basically moving up the ladder in terms of prices and quality of accommodation etc.

Is that going to bring with it things like the exclusive brand shops selling expensive watches, perfume and bags etc that you get in other places like Zermatt etc? With all this accommodation and stuff going up, whats the deal with shops, restaurants etc (not specifics just in general). Is it same as elsewhere (a few crappy omiyage shops, 7-11, boarded up building that looks like it hasn't been used since the 60's) or are we seeing big changes there too?

newhere

wow! party an off season Niseko thread.

It's lacking in the swank handbag and shoes shops, thank goodness.

There are numerous gear shops, souvenir shops, 2 convenience stores, loads of restaurants. It's hardly lacking in places to spend your money, just lacking the tables for you to spend it on.

More restaurants are needed. Many more.

You'll probably get a few different reponses to that but I reckon it won't get to that point. Despite what people may claim to aspire to, like using St Moritz in and around the place. The reason is simply that the punters at Niseko will always be largely made up of people from Asia/Oceania - the vast majority of Euros and North Americans will take the convenience of their own resorts over Niseko, in the same way that Aussies now favour Niseko in preference for Europe/North America. For those from Asia, if they don't already have that stuff (a big IF), they can get it at home, so too can the few Aussies who might want to glam up.

Rag-Doll,

I reckon your right.

My friend and I did a stop over in HK on the way BACK from Niseko for shopping in April(last year), and the family did a stopover in Tokyo for shopping on the way TO Niseko in January.

Most of the people in Niseko are too excited about the on-snow experience to spend a lot of money in fashion/watch/etc shops. Food is another matter - more resturants would be great!

Also places in Europe tend to have the village first, then build the ski industry around the village - those villages have those stores and the year round population to support them. I know there is a year round industry in Niseko...but enough for a Chanel store(?). I don't think so.

There's not a year round industry for most businesses in Hirafu, let alone a Chanel store.

And that's the problem.

No breaks with commercial leasing has led to a lack of services. Not many places can open for 3 months a year and turn a profit. No matter how much they charge - Ice Bar.

yeah lodge, occupancy rates in peak winter 100%, summer 10%.

Golfing, if promoted well would be great. I golf in the summer at 36 degrees plus, Hokkaido would be like 25 or thereabouts. That would give you the summer business.

Originally Posted By: thursday.

Golfing, if promoted well would be great. I golf in the summer at 36 degrees plus, Hokkaido would be like 25 or thereabouts. That would give you the summer business.

*ahem* stir Hanazono is a golf course!!! I mean, Jesus, could it be any flatter?? stir Go ski Jacksons and you will see what I mean. Yes, Niseko should change its image from a ski resort to a golf course - that would make way more sense. Thursdays next trip to Hokkers will be for golfing slap

Ohh funny CB!

stir

But I know what you mean about some spots at Hana.....

being on a board you really have to get some speed up to keep enough momentum over the flat spots or it can be a long walk!

Quote:
Most of the people in Niseko are too excited about the on-snow experience to spend a lot of money in fashion/watch/etc shops

Are they not in Zermatt etc?

Yes I realise that the World's Best Powder might be better in Niseko than other looked down on European snow, but surely people going to Zermatt and the like are also extremely excited about the on-snow?

Although I do know that a lot of people who have one skiing partner and one non-skier choose places like this to travel to BECAUSE of the shopping and entertainment.

After taking Papabear to Niseko infirm in January I would not recommend that a nonskier go with skiers for any more than a couple of days. Not enough to keep you occupied.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I would not recommend that a nonskier go with skiers for any more than a couple of days. Not enough to keep you occupied.

I would say this of any resort I've been to in the world. All the resorts I've been to (Ok, this does not include the swankier more shopping oriented ones). While they might have other things to do, during the winter they have a massive overriding dynamic of snow sports - everything else is a side show.

then they should move it up to Rusutsu.

Must admit, a funfair would in no way attract me to go in that direction. Completetly the opposite in fact.

Now, if they had a mountain bike course, well.... that would be something.

Good luck!

It has taken years to get 47 to finnaly consider building a proper course. Finally they have decided to make something out of their lift access MTBing.

The owners even went as far as to go overseas and research how to build a bike park.