• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
where exactly is Gassan and how come there is summer skiing, is it a crazily giant mountain?

Gassan is on the western side of Yamagata. At 2000m it's not particularly high, but because of its location it gets an enormous amount of snow. It's closed in the winter because you can't get in.

soubriquet_78.jpg

thursday naughty

Gassan closes around the end of June. It's really more of an oddity than a great sliding experience. Fair enough coming north if you want to, but I'd suggest combining a day on the snow with a day sightseeing and an onsen or two. Zao has a nice rotenburo, the volcano is worth seeing, and Yamadera is a must see.

It seems I will be going a lot in Tateyama from now on.

I will be setting up instruments in the Kamikochi Kurobe areas. razz

In about 2 weeks from now I will have to do the first trip there to check for suitable locations. Then at least once a month till October for maintenance.

Never met samurai. I arranged to meet up with daver two seasons ago, but there was a mix-up with the station names and it didn't happen. Daver's gone now.

It's over 40km from Yamagata to Oishida, and with a few beers inside it isn't doable.

Since Kagura is running uphill capacity to the top anyway, they should put in MTB courses on the lower half of the hill, methinks. Morning skiing and then afternoon MTB would be good...