Not really a J word.

You get it everywhere.

eg. A lot of "Boutique" Financial planning practices (in OZ) opening up now and I guess what They are trying to say is that they are independent of the bog boys (though sometimes not)

"boutique" has got to be one of the most over-used words at the moment.

and a few years ago in the uk, pretty much everything was "bespoke". used to drive me nuts

ayway, in my mind a boutique hotel is a deluxe establishment, but something smaller and more personalised where they pander to your every whim

a flash B&B could also come under the "boutique" moniker

I wondered what it was was well.

Gives me the impression of 'pretentious' somehow, possibly because I don't exactly know what it is supposed to mean, only associate it with something over-priced and all image.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I dunno myself, but I have been hearing "boutique" this and that recently as well...more Japanglish I guess...

Nice theory Creeky! The Japanese one though is "fashion hotel", which is basically the new euphimism for love hotels.

Given the choice, I'd take a "fashion hotel" over a "boutique hotel" anyday!

From Wikipedia:

"Boutique Hotel" is a term originating in North America to describe intimate, usually luxurious or quirky hotel environments. Boutique hotels differentiate themselves from larger chain or branded hotels by providing an exceptional and personalized level of accommodation, services and facilities. Because of their financial successes in the most recent past, there have been attempts to create chains have adopted the "boutique" look and feel. In the US this trend was started by the "W" hotel chain in the 1990s and most recently this trend can be observed in chains as "aloft", "NYLO","Hyatt Place" and others. Through this corporate adaptation of the concept the term "boutique" also changed and more recently hoteliers prefer to use the term "lifestyle hotels" to get away from the above mentioned quirky image.[citation needed]

Boutique hotels are sometimes furnished in a themed, stylish and/or aspirational manner. Although usually considerably smaller than a mainstream hotel (ranging from 3 to 100 guest rooms) boutique hotels are generally fitted with telephone and wi-fi Internet connections, honesty bars and often cable/pay TV. Guest services are attended to by 24 hour hotel staff. Many of the boutique hotels have on site dining facilities, and the majority offer attractive bars as well as lounges which may also be open to the general public.[citation needed]

Of the total travel market a small percentage are discerning travelers, who place a high importance on privacy, luxury and service delivery. This market is typically price insensitive (made up of both high end leisure and corporate travelers), non-seasonal, high-yielding and repeat, and therefore one which boutique hotel and other high-end operators target as their primary source of income.[citation needed]

This is from hotels-online.com

Harry Nobles & Cheryl Thompson, September 2001

What specific attributes qualify a hotel for this appellation? What makes one hotel a boutique while another is not? We believe there are several characteristics that contribute to the accurate application of the term. One is size. What is the maximum number of rooms allowable for a boutique hotel? In our opinion, and in the opinion of some others, 100 rooms seems to be the upper limit.

Is atmosphere a factor? We believe atmosphere is a very important component of all boutique hotels. If atmosphere is considered the sum total of the physical facilities and all the intangibles that comprise a memorable hotel experience, this may be the single

Ask Harry and Cheryl

We encourage readers to email us with questions on ratings, guest services, design, decor, etc. We'll directly respond to your questions. Email Harry and Cheryl

most critical factor. Our definition of atmosphere includes decor, ambience, personalized service, the attitude of management and staff, and how all these ingredients must combine to create a genuine sense of intimacy.

An intimate atmosphere may be the one absolutely essential component without which a hotel cannot be called boutique. In our opinion, the difficulty lies in creating an atmosphere of intimacy without familiarity. We define intimacy as caring, warm, personalized, yet totally professional. Familiarity involves using guests’ first name, hugs, excessive hand shakes, and other physical contact.

The boutique environment also includes anticipating guests’ needs and desires rather than simply responding to a request. Knowing what a guest wants, when they want it, and how they want it is a major difference between good service and great service. The goal of any fine hotel, boutique or otherwise, must be great service.

We suggest that a unique theme is one important component of “boutiqueness”. We are seeing a variety of interesting themes around the country , ranging from a library concept in New York City to a hotel in Washington, DC for guests interested in the occult.

We find this quite interesting and feel that a segment of the public will respond positively. Our only question is where does a trend end and a fad begin.

So, what is a real boutique hotel? Can you create a checklist of very specific characteristics that will apply to every property? Can you develop a profile that applies to all?

We suggest it is a hotel that makes guests happy to be there, makes them feel special, makes them want to return soon, and makes them want to tell others.

That description makes a boutique hotel sound like any other fine hotel, only smaller, right?

As with many intangibles, “boutiqueness”, like beauty may be in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks for that sunrise, especially the second bit.

I was under the impression that it meant small and super slick modern interior, basically because the first time I heard the term was about that place in Tokyo designed by Tomato, the design incarnation of the pop (pap?) techno band Underworld. As designers, they're best known for creating the look behind the Trainspotting movie and its much copied poster. From the pictures I've seen, that place has a beautiful interior and is not even particularly expensive. Not many rooms though, so book early.

Tbh, the stuff in the wikipedia article seems fairly standard for city hotels in Japan.