I was shocked by the amount of times I had someone smoking on the chairlift in front of me in Niseko - and I saw some of those butts being dropped down to the snow below upon completion. I can imagine what the poor mountain looks like as it thaws - butts, gloves and assorted other 'lost' items littered all about.

Glad to hear people keen to carry thier own portable ashtrays.

As an ex-smoker I can understand the desire for people to smoke at regular intervals, but it would be great if those guys smoking on the chairlift could consider that the people behind them are stuck and can not move out of thier slipstream. I gave up smoking more for my asthmatic kids than for myself (thanks kids!) so it really ticked me off that my asthmatic had to breathe in 2nd hand smoke with no escape on more than one occasion.

Finally! A sensible answer! To think, i have been to Wigan and enjoyed it, and then i get a wigan pie eater person telling me to stop smoking. Next time im down that way i shall stay in Standish and not venture near the JJB.

i know its silly, but so is being from wigan, and that effects me, my wiganese mate and i had a rather large argument as to weather i was english or scottish. He recons that even though i was born and raised in scotland to a scottish father and a half irish quarter english quarter welsh mum, that i am english...Go figure. I smoke to deal with the stress Mr Wigan puts on me!!

I know its a stupid habit, but damn those cigarettes are good. Yum yum! Seriously, i would just smoke other stuff if it wasnt for the pesky offshore drugs tests.

DO you know that the Pie-eater thing isnt about wigan pies...someone told me that. Interesting...

Your smoking affects people around you. Not me. I won't be around you. If you have the decency to put a plastic bag over your head when you smoke, people would appreciate that. And if you leave it on after your ciggie....... people would perhaps appreciate it even more.

No offence Al, I just hope all smokers die without access to the public health care that I and other anti-smoking nazis provide for them. And, yes, smokers pay tax, but their illnesses need treatment far beyond their contribution. And that's not even starting with their family members.

The great thing is al that you will not have to worry too much about smoking nazis in Japan. You won't be made to feel that you are stupid, crazy and some sort of biohazard. In fact most of the Japanese will happily join you in lighting one up over a drink or two.

i was serious about the 100 yen store. I know, because i buy them there all the time.

I don't smoke, and i get really pissed when i see people litter on the mountain. Like unreasonably chase-them-down-and-shove-the-cigarrette-butt-where-the-sun-don't-shine kind of angry.

So, it is much easier on me (and the offending party) when instead i carry a few extra ashtrays on me and hand them out as i ask them to stop littering in a place that is very special to me. I feel better about getting my point across in a way that is more effective that just pissing both parties off, and they get to ski or ride away without a cigarette-filter enema.

Remember 38mm film canisters? Use one of them. Or even an old screw top pill bottle (plastic).

A no-brainer really.

The Tokyu Hands store used to have a really wide selection of these a while back - I haven't really noticed if they still do. I got a nice anodized aluminum one with a screw-down lid with an o-ring... not for its intended purpose - I don't smoke.

No offense to smokers but I can never understand how, in such gorgeous open countryside with clean clean air anyone could be interested in breathing in smoke and polluting their lungs. It always mystifies me. But as long as I don't have to breathe it then - whatever floats your boat....

Originally Posted By: sunrise
No offense to smokers but I can never understand how, in such gorgeous open countryside with clean clean air anyone could be interested in breathing in smoke and polluting their lungs. It always mystifies me. But as long as I don't have to breathe it then - whatever floats your boat....

But that was just my problem Sunrise. We had to breathe it in! And all because they chose the chairlift to light up. It is not like it was just once either, and they were not all Aussies, although granted ONE set were. One of the guys was even in a ski school jacket!

I have no probs with a fellow pulling up for a ciggie outside a hut, or in a smoking room (better still), of even part way down a run - as long as I can avoid his smoke if I choose. As long as, even if I get hit with the toxic plume I can get away from it before I take a second breath of it.

But on a chairlift? You are deadset trapped in an envelope of toxins - I felt like it was too far to yell out "Oi, you mind not killing us all back here?", and by the time we got off the chair they were gone each time, so no chance to tune them in then either. Perhaps a little sign at the base of the chair lift to say "No Smoking on Chairlift" ...?
 Originally Posted By: sunrise

one word answer, nicoteen! I cant explain it, i know its stupid, but as far as smokers go, im very considerate (i guess). I dont smoke in my flat, or in any public places - just outside, away from people in designated smoking areas.

Im keen to not offend as i know how ridiculously smelly and minging smokers smoke is to outsiders, funny thing is, it tastes amazing on the way in, but smells poop on the way out - like food i guess.
 Originally Posted By: thursday.
good job it wasn't the gondee lol.gif

LOL - if it was I would have decked them - or at least tuned them in. I did see a couple light up on the Gondola, but they were with smoker friends or alone - and the smoke is contained, I am sure it lingers a bit, but you have the whole ride BACK with the vent open to clear it.

And as for the "why's" of smoking. It is addictive! I started smoking as a young and stupid girl being 'tough', but became a deadset smoker during a 3yr period in social work that did my head in. I found that when I was upset or stressed or freaked by my job (and it was pretty 'out there' at times) a quick ciggie settled me down and numbed the pain/panic/fear. I tried to give up smoking OVER and OVER and OVER again, but in the end it was for my kids that I succeeded. 10 years smoke free now, but I have PACKED on the weight since giving it up.