I have a question for the geeks!

I want to move the entire contents of my current computer to another (new) computer.

Whats the best way to do that? I believe Vista has some built in thing but unsure as to how good it is compared to other software out there.

As I start my research (yawn), was wondering what other people have used when they do this?

Thanks

As I don't trust any Microsoft OS/program/application, Vista in particular, I would just copy all the files to a removable/external hard drive and pull them into the new machine from there. This is relatively easy for me since I already back up my files to an external drive anyway, so they're there and easy to access. If you don't have an external drive, you could potentially remove the drive from your old machine, put it in an external case and go from there (caveat: NT/2000/XP security settings in NTFS-formatted hard drives may prevent moving/accessing some of the files if you do this). If you don't have an external case "just lying around", it may not be worthwhile getting one just for this.

I haven't heard any horror stories about Vista mangling things with this application (yet), so you might try it. Supposedly it will move all your Windows settings too, but not your installed programs - you'll have to go and reinstall them off the original discs and set those up from scratch. Maybe search online to see how satisfactory this migration software has been to users first.

I just got a new laptop and the first thing I did was wipe out the original factory installation, reload Vista off the recovery discs, NOT reload all the free/trial crap software that came preinstalled on the machine, install the few programs I wanted on the machine, and copy over my working files via the external drive. That was easier than uninstalling all the preloaded junk.

Last time I decided to do what you said Ezorisu - wipe out the factory installation and reinstall. Unfortunately from that point in I had a problem with the sound card that I just could not fix, so next time I won't be doing that. I think I'll just delete the programs I don't want and try to get rid of them in the registry or whatever.

Most new boxes do not have the recovery disks supplied, you have to make them yourself! One desktop I installed just yesterday wanted 2DVD, 1 DLDVD, or 14CDs to make the recovery set. That was for a Vista setup on a Compaq.

Very few manufacturers give you the OS on disk any more, just a link to a utility that will allow you to create a SINGLE recovery set. After that, you have to use the recovery set to reinstall.

Most of these will give you the option to just recover the OS, but the average punter will just reset the box to "factory original" settings which includes the crap (freebies and trial versions of Office, for example)

What is a DLDVD?

I hate the garbage they stick on the new PCs. Dell are actually quite good compared to a computer you would buy on the high street. Those things are half full before you turn them on.

Originally Posted By: charlotte
Last time I decided to do what you said Ezorisu - wipe out the factory installation and reinstall. Unfortunately from that point in I had a problem with the sound card that I just could not fix, so next time I won't be doing that. I think I'll just delete the programs I don't want and try to get rid of them in the registry or whatever.

The last time I tried uninstalling all the junk piecemeal through the "add or remove programs" utility, something got corrupted and the computer locked up and wouldn't shut down without the "hard" option (physically disconnecting the power cord). I ended up having to reinstall the OS and work up from scratch.

Computers suck! sjangry.gif
 Originally Posted By: KevKastle
What is a DLDVD?

As already stated - Dual Layer DVD. This is the style that the movies are on and that explains the slight hesitations you sometimes see while watching a DVD movie. The hesitation is the re-focus mechanism swapping between layers.