Went to Marunuma this weekend with my daughter skiing, snowed all day yesterday, loads of fresh powder, was great.

Been there twice this season, it's a nice resort for all levels and got things for the children to do too.

yeah I have read that page, but it says nowt bout buses from the station. Do you know how much they cost? Or even do u know where I can get that info in english?

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I want to go there but can't find a bus company that goes there. Did you drive up?

Yes I drove up there, it's about 45 mins from Numata
 Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
do you know if there are shuttle buses from Numata station, I still can't find any info

No sorry I don't as never use buses. I would say that probably there aren't as I have never seen any buses on the road either going to or from the resort.
This is probably due to the distance and the fact that half the road is snowed up when ever it snows there which is often.

I will have a look on some sites see if I can find any info for you.

Ok I have found some info, it looks like the only way to get there by bus is from Jomo Kogen shinkansen station, which is actually about a 10 min drive from Numata.

It takes around 2.5hrs by bus.

Hope this helps you. Not sure how you usually come to Gunma, but if you use the Joetsu Shinkansen bound for Niigata, that will stop at Jomo Kogen station. Might be worth giving the station a call to confirm that buses do run to Marunuma.

I probably will go up to Gunma again this weekend if I do I can pop up to Jomo Kogen and ask them, if you don't have any luck over the phone.

cheers snowdude!! thumbsup.gif

wow 2.5 hrs by bus from the station, thats far!!!

I've never been to Gunma, I usually just go to Niigata, but I really fancy Marunuma, its over 2000m so I guess the snow condition is good. Bummer its so hard to get to (when you don't have a car!!)

Is it busy then, considering its distance from any public transport?

Yes good snow, lots of nice powder, although it does tend to get chopped up a fair bit by the end of the day, but you can still find patches of fresh at the end of the day, even if it doesn't snow on the day. It's pretty busy, infact if you are not there before 10 O'clock then not easy to find a parking space.

Having said that there never seem to be any real lift lines, maybe 1 min wait at very most. Restaurant is not big enough for the number of people, so if you do ever adventure out to there, I recommend taking a packed lunch and use the relaxation rooms to sit and eat.

There are also courses for all levels and also a skiiers only course, although that is a rather short. If you got kids, then you can do tubing together with them, that is actually quite good fun too.

If your a border then plenty of jumps and ramps and things to keep you occupied on the borders course, (although I never used it as I am a skiier, but can see it all from the lifts). Some of the courses criss-cross each other too, so you can easily vary your way down.

If you go to Niigata a lot, why don't you try Tsunan, I have been there a couple of times and really enjoyed it, was good snow too, and got some lovely courses.

Another good places is in Yuzawa, Nakazato, that is a biggish resort and has some nice slopes to suit all levels.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Tsunan? Which resort do you mean there, Greenpia or Mountain Park? As far as I know, both are rather small places.......

I went to Greenpia, which I found quite nice, no so big, but definitely not so small either.

I found the courses that were there to be very nice, some nice smooth curves and nice scenary. Of course I am not an advance speed freak so not sure if it is so challenging for an expert skier.
 Originally Posted By: sanjo
It's interesting that you should choose Greenpia. It's a fairly small place and not exactly the easiest to get to either. Only went once and that was in summer.

Well I went there by car so was easy enough to get to. Basically I guess as I drive all the time, not many places I consider difficult to get to.
It is reasonably small, but I liked the terrain, I guess we all have different preferances. As I am not an advanced skiier, it suited me fine.