One thing that strikes us - and probably many people who visit Japan - is how people working over there seem to (really??) take so much pride in their work. Not only moneybags but train platform guys, 7-11 people and the most mind-numbing of jobs. Here in the UK you are lucky if you get a scowl from some people, and it's as if it is cool to show contempt for your work. Sure feels that way sometimes.

I wonder why it is. Without wanting to over-generalise, what makes these people different from their UK equivalents?

I've had lots of discussions with people about the service attitude of UK people. I mean UK people and not the immigrant population that has pushed up the UK population to over 70mil.

Pyschologists and theorists pin it to the days of serfdom, when the lord of the manor had the right to your life for protection within his castle walls. The UK's attitude to serving somebody these days is "what makes you so special that I have to serve you?" It's a matter of self pride when they serve you begrudgingly and with plenty of attitude.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
Thursday, it is refreshing to see someone answer that question by looking at the British attitude rather than the Japanese attitude and then giving all the overgeneralizations that come with it. Good one.

Ah difficult one there for me BP. Just have to say what Tubby would say: "did you spot the sarcasm there, it's there you know, in buckets" ;\)
 Originally Posted By: Mantas
Japanese travelers must be horified with the service (or lack of) that they get in some places.

I often wonder about that too! We made a special effort with our exchange students because we know how well our boys are treated in Japan.

I heard someone explain the Aussie situation similarly Thursday - that the habit of 'culling tall poppies' so annoyingly common in Oz is a throwback from convict days and a desire to make sure no-one is allowed to be seen to be doing any better than anyone else - making everyone equal in an over reaction to being controlled by jailers.
Maybe
Maybe not.

You have to take your hat off to some of the Japanese for their work ethic though.

Take your average lifty in Japan. Probably not the most glamorous, and inspiring of professions, not the best paid either I'll bet, but that means little to him. His little patch is kept immaculate. Billiard table flat in the loading area and seats are always swept of snow.

The Oz lifty is another story. Usually some hung-over dude struggling to stay awake on his shift, dreaming of knock off time and getting a few runs in before going to the pub again. If a small child's hair got caught on the chairlift and was being dragged up the hill screaming, it might just be enough for him to put down his newspaper and attend to the situation.

As I always repeat like an old old man, service is good here, but it lacks any personal touch. Usually the whole deal is done without eye contact (or trying to avoid it) which muke it that much more un pleasurable.

I get lots of eye-contact.

And I always say, I'd much prefer the good service even without personal touch than the 'WTF you want' attitude in certain places.

It's admirable that guys and gals in mind-numbing jobs can retain that look of professionalism or whatever. It's just downright sad that staff in some places in UK (ones I see anyway) are basically a disgrace to the country almost.

The service here can be great but I also find it mind numbing at times in that it is so mechanical. Often they seem little more than robots with no personal touch to the service at all. At my local convenience store I get the same thing every single day first thing in the morning, an iced coffee, and it seems no matter how many times I have done this over the last couple of years I always get asked if I want a straw. Not once have I ever answered yes but I still get asked day after day after day... Sometimes I wouldn't mind some crappy service, at least it shows some semblance of human emotion.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
I agree with Big Will and GN. A bit of a personal touch wouldn't hurt.

What about me! You forgot me!

My mate's been going to the same convini for 8 years and the same owners don't even bat an eyelid @ the guy!
 Originally Posted By: Go Native
Maybe being the only gaijin in the village makes you special soubs \:D

Soubs you don't wear leather shorts, studded leather braces and go about topless do you? ;\)
 Originally Posted By: Indo
As I always repeat like an old old man, service is good here, but it lacks any personal touch. Usually the whole deal is done without eye contact (or trying to avoid it) which muke it that much more un pleasurable.

I agree with Indo, he's starting to sound like an old man.
 Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
 Originally Posted By: Go Native
Maybe being the only gaijin in the village makes you special soubs \:D

Soubs you don't wear leather shorts, studded leather braces and go about topless do you? ;\)

Nope. Maybe it's the turban, grenade belt and RPG launcher which draw their attention. That, and the attitude problem.
 Quote:
but it lacks any personal touch

Been thinking about this more. Where I am I really feel that I get a lot of genuine personal touch. Of course this is mostly in places that know me.

On the other hand, I'd say that when people give me that insincere and over the top 'personal touch', don't like that either.

I am fussy.

In general Japan is very pleasant in this respect.