New Docomo models + charges

Has anyone either got a new docomo or switched to their new pricing system of late? Looks like the monthly and costs are really lower on the new 905 models, though it is difficult to compare them properly. If anyone is experienced in this I'd really like to hear.

Cheers

I switched to the new pricing system - my average monthly bill has gone down from just under 9,000 yen to 3,000 and something, not bad, especially for docomo! I switched over from my old MOVA to a GSM enabled FOMA, got the cheapest one on my docomo points so it was free.

I actually looked at some other plans, thought about switching companies, but actually docomo was the cheapest for what I wanted. (I'm not doing internet, so I'm not sure about the net plans).

It works overseas. Handy if I need to pick up work calls from Japan when travelling. To receive an overseas call costs a bit more, but overall it's not all that much (unless you want to have lots of long conversations with people), anyway for me for the work calls it's worth it, it's not like I'm getting dozens of calls a day. I don't use it to make calls to Japan when overseas (I'll use skype for that!). It's also handy in case you need to make an occasional emergency calls within the country you're visiting. Or if you need someone to be able to contact you and there's no other way they can do it.

I guess if you're using keitai email you can keep doing that too and it probably doesn't cost much extra than normal, though I have no idea of costs cos I don't use keitai mail. It's also nice to have international SMS send/receive option with the phone, though again, I don't use it much.

A friend of mine just got a new P905i. Very nice it is too. The display is way better than what I have seen before. He was enjoying playing Ridge Racer on it.

We are with Docomo. My mum is coming out next month for 2 months so MMT at 17 months old will be getting his first keitai! It's only 1,500 a month for a kids contract so it's cheaper to keep that for visiting friends and family than to have them rent everytime they come out.

I kept my other phone and turn it on whenever family come out, pay a month phone rental and the crappy NTT switch-on fee, then turn it off after they leave. Ultimately it winds up kinda costly but kinda not, and certainly the convenience of having that extra phone is more than worth it.

I didn't know they had a kids contract! I guess they want to fry their brains earlier and earlier....

How much is the switch on fee, Sunrise? I was thinking that it'll probably work out cheaper for me to just keep MMT's phone connected.

Kids contract is mad and they try to convince parents they need it by offering all these different alarm and global positioning services. The phone can't be turned off without a pin number and the parents can log into a website to see where the kid (or at least the phone) is.

I suppose that global positioning might be quite useful for finding my mum if she gets lost lol.gif

lol.gif I'll remember that one when my parents come out next!

I think the switch-on fee is 2500 or 3000, I forgot now. Total scam. Then you just go with the cheapest monthly. But without a contract you don't get the 50% discount. If you take a contract you have to pay out if you leave it early. So straight off the bat it probably costs around 6000 to have a phone for the month. Plus calls, but of course the long calls can be made from your own phone. You can also send/receive SMS to docomo phones (and international if it's a foma).

I just changed to one of the new 905's and my monthly base cost will go down by about 2000 yen a month (same call amount included). Nice! I had to spend to get the phone, but the savings will make up for it in a year and I opted to pay for the phone over 12 months so it will be evens thank you very much.

I went to have a look. Those new 905s are really expensive aren't they? Seems some of them have a listed price of 70,000 yen and being sold for around 50,000 yen. Did the top of the line used to be so expensive? I suppose when they have tv, gps and all those other things they will be more expensive.

Originally Posted By: big-will
I went to have a look. Those new 905s are really expensive aren't they? Seems some of them have a listed price of 70,000 yen and being sold for around 50,000 yen. Did the top of the line used to be so expensive? I suppose when they have tv, gps and all those other things they will be more expensive.

I think Docomo have gone back to the system of you pay more for the phone but you get a cheaper plan.

My Docomo bill too has dropped from about 8-9K to around 5K. noice!

For the record I have the old n704i myu. Very slim, not so big on functions. paid around 15K.

My phone was free on docomo points, though it's list price I think was around 6000 yen. (and i"m on the cheaper plan). Of course if you want the latest model that's another story. But I've always upgraded my phones for free on docomo points. I figure since they're fleecing me anyway why pay for the damn phone? lol.gif

Seems that way flipside. A friend of mine is really into them and changing every 6 months (she's not as stupid as that sounds, honest) and she basically said that. The phones are more expensive, the price war is on the monthly.

• 6 months later...

Next month Docomo are introducing a new pack that gives you unlimited internet use on the keitais - but not a fixed charge.... you have to pay I think just over 1000 yen a month and on top of that how much you use that month but importantly with an upper limit of around 4500 yen or nearly 6000 yen if you use the full browser. So if you don't use it much in a month it will be cheap and if you use it tons you can do so without worrying about a potentially unknown huge bill.