Originally Posted By: SerreChe
Just enough to remind me how vastly superior snowboarding is in powder wink.gif grin.gif

You are mediocre at best, so better stick to skiing from now on. \:\)

Great picks dude, although I haven't tried skiing yet so cant make comments about your turns. ;\)

Were you up the big K?

One thing I have to admit though is that skiing is a lot more physically demanding than snowboarding in powder at least. I had to catch my breath once in a while whereas when I am boarding powder I feel I could ride non-stop.

You should give skiing a try Tsonda. It is more fun than boarding in spring as well.

Tsonda, tele always looked odd to me, but I've never tried so cannot judge. It seems very popular with the local bc buffs.

Tubby, been a while since we've stoked the old Boading vs. Skiing fire on the forums! wink.gif

The Niseko vs Hakuba fire has grabbed all the attention as of late. laugh.gif

Well, since you opened the door...

Skiing is definitely more suited for steep fall line riding and tight trees. Judging by all the thick snowboard tracks traversing the hill on any given powder day, I'd say snowboarders are afraid of the fall line. And that's just in 'Strawberries'. Snowboarding's more 'cool' (in Japan, at least) but just riding a snowboard is not enough to be cool. You've got to be able to kick some ass too.

Originally Posted By: ger
Well, since you opened the door...
Skiing is definitely more suited for steep fall line riding and tight trees. Judging by all the thick snowboard tracks traversing the hill on any given powder day, I'd say snowboarders are afraid of the fall line. And that's just in 'Strawberries'. Snowboarding's more 'cool' (in Japan, at least) but just riding a snowboard is not enough to be cool. You've got to be able to kick some ass too.

Ger,

I reckon the soft riding by the snowboarders probably reflects the fact that you don't need to be a particularly good snowboarder to hit the pow but you probably do need to be a pretty fair skier so you get an odd mix of snowboarders (whose skill level ranges from noobie to advanced) and experienced skiers making tracks in the pow. The noobie boarders can handle the pow but don't have the skills or the experience to handle the underlying terrain quite as well as the skiers do. And you're right, no point in talking the talk if you can't walk the walk.
 Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
Isn't that a bit of a stereotype or generalisation there ger?

People that ride the "Strawberries" are mostly occasional snowboarders with no more than 10 days a season.

Could be a generalization. As for Strawberries, it attracks a range... it's interesting terrain that intermediates can have fun in too, without getting killed.
Anyway, I still think that skiing is better suited to steeps (real steeps) and tighter trees. It's just faster to switch your weight on skis so you can make tighter turns. More mobility. For walking out on flats obviously too. Better for exploring a mountain.

I hardly ever go with people who snowboard, and so this weekend doing a couple of runs with ianbc (I am presuming from his real name that this is who it was) was quite an eyeopener. It wasn't extreme terrain or anything but it was great to see such smooth controlled riding. I am definitely a skier but I started to like boarding a lot more after seeing that!

I would agree on the exploring and traversing part. Its easier on skis than doing it with a 6 kg board strapped on your backpack. shifty.gif

But, I ll have to try skiing first before I have an opinion which is better at steeps.

disambiguation: steeps for me is around 35~40 deg, everything above that enters the "coming down a wall" category. \:\)

i went skiing o few weeks ago at my local hill when it was raining. And you know what, i didn't kill myself from boredom.

It was actually kinda fun being back on the misery sticks, and i tried sliding the boxes on them.

But i had to get rid of the poles, it felt retarded holding them and not doing any pole plants.

Skiing pow isn't any more physically demanding if you have big sticks like FTs Pontoons. I skied my ARGs all weekend in the pow and the hardest part was skating them back to the liftline (the prototype models had VERY slow bases, the commercial ones should be much better than mine). I can't see why skiing would be more fun in the spring if you like boarding in the winter. At least you won't be postholing everywhere in the corn. I tried boarding once and realised it put my wrists in too much jeapordy thus risking my sex life.

I missed the action if I may say before the thread went into Stunts ambidextrous capabilities.

Nothing comes close to boarding in powder, although I have never tried FTs 100s+ underfoot type skis. I also have more control in trees with deep pow on my board than on skis. It is a lot quicker and responsive as well. I think my skis are 88 underfoot which is not too shabby, but it was hard work in deep pow.

Outside of powder, skis rule in my own view.