Australia Day - how to celebrate?

In Perth, Western Australia, we just celebrate by having a huge fireworks display over the swan river. People congregate in their tens of thousands (don't know real figures) and have barbeques, picnics, listen to the radio, drink, play footy or cricket, drink, get sunburnt, drink etc etc.

It can be a great day out, but today is just too damn hot.

This will lead to a lot of idiots getting smashed (drinking ion a hot day, running around & not replenishing fluids is very stupid).

Anyhows, it is a nice atmosphere (if you like crowds), fingers crossed the idiots don't come out and ruin it for everyone....

I tradtionally like to have a barbecue, play some footy, and drink with mates.

I'd thought Australia day would be a day when all Australians would reflect upon their (mis)/fortune at birth to be randomly picked to be an Australian and to be proud of the fact that they are respected and not despised.... then go down the pub and get smashed and sing loud Rugby songs. Just like the buncha $#%^&$s last night in Wan Chai.

Mate, I am a proud to be known as an Aussie. I have traveled most of the world and know that Australians do live in the lucky country. Every country from Japan to Hong Kong, Great Britain and the Americas have people that carry on like wankers when they have had a few too many. You just have to expect that shit from time to time. Hope all the Aussies in Japan had a great day and behave like visitors to their own homes.

lots of flags flying around here. A bunch of young guys set up a game of street cricket in the main street of B.H. Partly blocking the traffic. An esky at each end for a wicket and a huge aussie flag at the batting end. I was annoyed but also slightly proud of their cheeky antics. We are what we are and don't pretend to be anything else.

I spent the afternoon at the beach teaching the kids to surf. No. 2 is up and riding. thumbsup.gif

listened to the hot 100 (a mate's band came in at #10, so stoked for them)

went to a bbq, , watched some cricket and tennis, played some cricket and watched the fireworks, which i found as boring as ever.

seriously - is anyone actually awed by fireworks? even as a kid atfer seeing 1 or 2 displays, i just found them the same old thing.

anyway, fun day all round. and hot as hell

>seriously - is anyone actually awed by fireworks? even as a kid atfer seeing 1 or 2 displays, i just found them the same old thing.<

Come on Spook, I thought I was the grumpy old prick. My kids love them. They were cheering there heads off after every one.

Yeah stoked Indo. We both had grins from ear to ear. Where did you go snowboarding?

I like the old fireworks spookster!

Kids love them too. Firewaorks here are pretty rad, though they would be better if they did them to music. If you can get close the vibration of them being set off is cool!

Mantas, just went up to Gifu. Takasu Snow Park. Some freshies (to my suprise) and a fun day in the park.

Originally Posted By: spook

seriously - is anyone actually awed by fireworks?

mate,you obviously have never been to PL fireworks in Osaka: the worlds largest annual display, you would have to have no pulse not to be awed by it. You cant compare the standard pissant fireworks displays in Western countries to ones like it. Some of the fireworks are more like like bombs, they shake buildings nearby, you feel major shockwaves through your body. It really is awesome.

well, i guess i stand corrected on the fireworks front.

although i must admit that i liked spending new years in germany and everyone there goes crazy lighting their own rockets.

watching fireworks is one thing. almost getting your hand blown off is another

I just got back from Whistler last night, so I got to witness Autralia Day (Saturday) firsthand for the first time. I saw a lot of odd clothing choices (old neon colours, non-snow hats), several Australian flags being used capes on the ski trails, and at night numerous raucous parties with unfortunate levels of male nudity. Someone on the gondola told me that Whistler has a really large Australian expat population, and the Aussie Day celebration there is the biggest outside of Oz - not sure if that's true or not.

i would say london would be the biggest aussie ex-pat enclave - i've heard fugures of 70,000 been bandied about, but not sure how accurate that number is.

but yeah, whistler would have to be up there

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
unfortunate levels of male nudity.

lol.gif