Mamabear's story sucks, although I am glad she's ok. I can only imagine the kind of guy that took her out. Was probably getting pissed drunk in the evening bragging about it too. It is unfortunate that some areas of the world have a larger minority of nooobzs than others. Too bad they are attracted to places like Niseko as well. Another of the many examples that do not really make me want to go there anytime soon. As usual, it is unfortunate for those that end-up painted with the same brush.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thank my helmet that I only got a small concussion when I fell in the backcountry some days ago and tomahawked for ~100 meters. I will always use a helmet after that and I have to say that I am more afraid of falling when skiing on a hard groomed slope than skiing out of bounds.

Okemo and contender - glad you guys are OK!!

Okemo - well done for avoiding the people below you! Even to your own detriment. That is the mark of someone with a great deal of social respect.

Contender - gotta agree! And the day I hit the head it was pretty compacted...I was sticking to less crowded area's (I don't like riding in crowds either) but coming back from Hanazono I didn't have much choice in heading down that stretch that I got collected on if I wanted to get back to the chalet.

And yeah - I can hear this fellow carrying on like a weiner over a few brewskies that night too! LOL. In fact I would not be surprised if he had had a few ALREADY that day - maybe random breath testing for speeding skiers/boarders would be a good idea! LOL

Thanks Mama, I too am glad you are ok after your ordeal. Its a rough position. My first reaction was to get up and yell at them for stopping in such a dangerous place, but it was obvious they were noobs and had no clue what they were doing.

I saw them at the lift and told them that we were all pretty lucky and told them they need to be a little bit more aware of potential hazards on the mountain. They were apologetic, I think it kinda sank it would have been pretty tragic if I had landed on/hit them at speed. It all worked out accept for the lump on my bean.

I fell over the other day and hit the back of my head really hard on some ice.

Lucky i was wearing my helmet or i would probably have had a broken neck!

i am glad i bought one.

kokodoko - you found ice in Japan in Jan/Feb - good job!! That is not easy as it sounds, huh?

Glad to hear you had your helmet on and you did not end up with a broken neck!! Would have seriously cramped your style!!

Some good food for thought Tess. At the end of the day, I think your attitude is pretty much on the mark. Unfortunately, it's far from reality on the slopes. I'm more concerned about being hit by others and paranoid about putting myself in a position where I could hit others.

What you said about mama-charis is right too, but I'm still happy to see more helmets around these days for the kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another pro helmet thread:

Arrived Hakuba Saturday 2/9. Got the rental stuff, went straight to Happo, Nakiyama area. We had lunch in that Austrian guys place (good food!) and did some skiing.

At about 15:20 or so I saw my daughter Standing at the top of the first double lift, just looking. Went to her to say "hi". She asked me for the time. Then 30 Seconds later she asked me again, and another 30 Seconds again. Then she said "I think I am brain damaged". I asked her what's up - she said "I forgot". I said, lets have a rest and have drink in that Austrians place - she forgot the place! I asked a few more questions, our hotel, what she did yesterday (in Tokyo) - all forgot! She had no bump on her head or anything and didn't look like she fell. But it was heavily snowing and we were all covered in snow anyway.

Long term stuff was still there, her school, class etc. The Austrian guy was so kind to call us a taxi and I took her to the Shintani Clinic (near Goryu). It's a small clinic. There where about 10 people in the waiting room, I would say 9 were related to ski or snowboard.

My daughter got a catscan. Skull ok, no brain bleeding. Doc then said it's common and memory will come back for most people within 24 hours. She had very strong headache, but the hospital advised not to give her pills. Cost was ¥20,100 , which I think is very reasonable - they take credit cards too. Communication in the Shintani Clinic was OK, quite rudimentary.

We were back in the hotel at 18:00 or so and we send her straight to bed. I had dinner and went to the White Horse. Back in the hotel at 22:00 or so she woke up. I asked her what she had for lunch - and she said Fried Sausage with Fries. Seems the memory started to return.

We still have no idea what happened to her, and will probably never find out.

Next day a rest day was refused and we all went back to ski - now all with helmet. And we will keep that habit.

Shintani does not have the knowledge to understand what damage could/has been done. I would strongly suggest that she gets re-examined as soon as possible.

Be careful with ski-ing after a knock on the head it could also lead to more damage.

If she has had a concussion you should be aware that subsequent concussions before recovery has taken place can be extremely serious. I'm no doctor and I have no idea what happened here but well... 14 year old daughter... just thought I ought to say something just in case.

Well, she had a catscan (I saw the screen too) which was examined by at least 3 doctors. With the large number of ski related accidents that clinic handles (I guess 90% of their business in winter) they should have some experience and I don't really doubt their findings.

I was advised to go another hospital if she starts of vomit or shake. That didn't happen. For us the case is closed and it's a good reminder to be aware that things can happen anytime.

In our hotel was another large group from Hong Kong. The most experienced of them broke his arm.

Kraut - WOW! That must have been so scary for you. Your little girl in such a bemused state! I can only imagine your concern as a parent!! I am glad that all seems well now.

YAY for her changing her mind for a helmet.

Originally Posted By: Kraut_in_HongKong
Just another pro helmet thread:

Arrived Hakuba Saturday 2/9. Got the rental stuff, went straight to Happo, Nakiyama area. We had lunch in that Austrian guys place (good food!) and did some skiing.

At about 15:20 or so I saw my daughter Standing at the top of the first double lift, just looking. Went to her to say "hi". She asked me for the time. Then 30 Seconds later she asked me again, and another 30 Seconds again. Then she said "I think I am brain damaged". I asked her what's up - she said "I forgot". I said, lets have a rest and have drink in that Austrians place - she forgot the place! I asked a few more questions, our hotel, what she did yesterday (in Tokyo) - all forgot! She had no bump on her head or anything and didn't look like she fell. But it was heavily snowing and we were all covered in snow anyway.

Long term stuff was still there, her school, class etc. The Austrian guy was so kind to call us a taxi and I took her to the Shintani Clinic (near Goryu). It's a small clinic. There where about 10 people in the waiting room, I would say 9 were related to ski or snowboard.

My daughter got a catscan. Skull ok, no brain bleeding. Doc then said it's common and memory will come back for most people within 24 hours. She had very strong headache, but the hospital advised not to give her pills. Cost was ¥20,100 , which I think is very reasonable - they take credit cards too. Communication in the Shintani Clinic was OK, quite rudimentary.

We were back in the hotel at 18:00 or so and we send her straight to bed. I had dinner and went to the White Horse. Back in the hotel at 22:00 or so she woke up. I asked her what she had for lunch - and she said Fried Sausage with Fries. Seems the memory started to return.

We still have no idea what happened to her, and will probably never find out.

Next day a rest day was refused and we all went back to ski - now all with helmet. And we will keep that habit.

I am all to familiar with concussion after being a fighter and then trying my hand at park skiing. I have had the exact same symptoms as your daughter twice after whipping back and hitting the back of my head. Both times I was wearing a helmet and my docter (who is a k-1 fight doctor and, as such, probably the leading expert on concussions) told me a helmet does little good in this kind of fall to snow. Your brain floats in cerbrospinal fluid and a sudden stop will cause the brain to collide with the inside of the skull. A helmet does little to cushion from this type of impact. Hitting something sharp or hard like running into a tree, or falling on a rail or trainwrecking into your own equipment is another matter and I continue to wear a helmet.
  • 2 weeks later...