With this being my first trip to Niseko I would appreciate any advice about where the restaurants are on the mountain and what is the best time to avoid the crowds trying to get a table all at the same time.

Please and thank you.

King Bell Hut is good on Hirafu side. The Cafe up by the old Gondola on Highasiyama is good. I do not think there is anything on Annupuri (at least when I was riding that side, nothing registered).

Best time to hit the restaurants are 11am to 12 and 230pm to 330pm, to avoid the crowds, find a relaxing spot.

Originally Posted By: quattro
My favorite is the ACE house. They make a mean pumpkin & gnocchi soup also try the spaghetti arrabiata.

or you could try some of the japanese food on the mountain ;\)
 Originally Posted By: Samui Kitsune
I do not think there is anything on Annupuri (at least when I was riding that side, nothing registered).

There's a little restaurant between the main building and the gondola base that has some decent soba.

What about the restaurant at the bottom of Hanazono? I used to hear about their seafood ramen a lot.

Quote:

My favorite is the ACE house. They make a mean pumpkin & gnocchi soup also try the spaghetti arrabiata.

I eat enough ramen, curry rice, udon, soba and the likes at every other ski jo. It's good to see a change of pace for once.

Oh, I thought by on the mountain he met up a lift, not at the base. I guess the base is on the mountain.

Annupuri has New Sanko at the base and the Ramen shop. I think the ramen at the New Sanko is better than the Ramen shop. However, I think the Annupuri restaurants are overpriced compared to King Bell on Hirafu side.

Another great place is the After Hours Cafe at the base of Higashiyama by the Gondola. Nice place to relax and have lunch, but get there before noon to be guaranteed a seat. You can play pool, check the internet, drink a beer, all in the After Hours Cafe. It has a good vibe.

Quote:

I eat enough ramen, curry rice, udon, soba and the likes at every other ski jo. It's good to see a change of pace for once.

true. sorry. i guess you do live in sapporo. i just meant for this first time visitor to niseko

Japanese food vs Western Food.

For me and Papabear - it is all part of the experience to be eating new and interesting foods. We often eat Japanese food at home now, and I am not too bad at making Nori Rolls. I am the one trying EVERYTHING while the rest of our travelling party look on with horrified faces.

But it is good that Western Food is available. Our eldest two refuse to eat fish (at all!), kids can be fussy, and some adults can't cope with new flavours either.

I really like the resturants inside the Alpen Hotel for meeting the kids needs, and also for having enough seating for our big family EVERY time we go there, and getting the food out FAST. The Coffee Shop there near the entrance to the family slope makes good coffee - especially nice breakfast latte's.

mmmm......., food..... my favourite.

Don't worry about crowds and stuff. It's all very polite, you'll get space as people will budge for you if they can.

You'll find so much varitety, you'd want to eat at least 2 lunches. Do an early one at 11 and then a late one at 2:30, followed by an early happy hour at 4 and then a large one at 7. Then after the nighta, knock yourself out at a pub.

My fav retaurants:

Sushi: Syokusai Hirafu at the Alpen

Big Cliff

Scot hotel's bar

Avoid the Chinese buffet at the Alpen at all costs. It's bad bad bad.

Cheers for the feedback everyone. As it happens I really like japanese food so i think that I should be sampling the best that Niseko has to offer during my stay.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the best times to avoid the queues.

So this Big clif place.. lunches or dins?

I got brekkie and dis covered at my pension so looking for good lunch spots..

y usual haunts were the small plave just after the gondola at hirafu eith an excellent sansai udon, the buffet somewhere in the middle and the sushi joint close to seiko mart