Legal question - Gym payment

Tried to enroll Mini Me Tarzan at the gym today for swimming lessons and they told me that I had to pay monthly by credit card and that I couldn't pay by cash. Also, not just any credit card but that I had to apply for one of their credit cards and the monthly fee would be deducted from that card. The card doesn't have any annual fees but I still don't see how that can be legal. What's wrong with cash?

Anyone know if it's legal or not?

AFAIK big chain gyms dont take cash and require a direct deposit from a bank account - any bank account. Holding a gun to your head requiring a specified C/C is just bizarre and over the top.

Perhaps they highly recommend that you get the C/C but if you dont want you can get out of it?? how hard did you push the point?.

Legally seems a little odd.

Badmigraine might be able to help - I see he's floating around the forums again.

Jane, I DON'T KNOW THE LEGAL SYSTEM IN JAPAN. But the normal English law thing is:

Companies offering their services are an "INVITATION TO TREAT" If you like to do it with them, then YOU are asking them to accept your offer. They are stating that they wish to accept on their terms. It's up to you to go ahead or not.

I know three or four gaijin who joined a gym because it was the only way they could get a credit card. Without dumping major cash into shitibank, that is. Thank the Lord its not that difficult to get one anymore. It certainly used to be.

As for the question, sorry I don't know. Its not an uncommon practice though. Any big business that can go cashless will do. It makes things much easier for them.

Ah, going from a legality viewpoint to a consumer viewpoint here.

First it is legal (dunno about that cos it's not English law and I'm sure you will not get an answer from a Japanese lawyer here)

Second, the gym is doing a sensible thing for their business. Co-branding a CC with their bank means they can have the credit facilties with them if and when needed. This is actually a safer way of operating than a cash facility.

That said, I must yawn now............. it's getting late.

Im at COSPA and they let me pay monthly at a combini, CC, or direct withdrawal from your account. I chose the latter cuz its much easier. Is that the gym you really wanna join? If so, bite the bullet and get it. Id imagine there are tons of places around where you live. I liked my old gym in Ashiya better \:\(

My gym is AXTOS and they also demanded that I get their credit card.

I disagreed heatily with the principle, but applied anyway because I dont have a JP CC and thought it may be useful sometimes, plus its got no fees. Also its the only gym around and its brand new so I really wanted to join.

Anyway, they rejected my application, presumably cos I gave them the bank details of my current account which also hovers around the 10man mark instead of my proper savings account. So now they take the fees from my bank directly instead (actually it bounced cos I used the wrong hanko or something so I can pay cash until they fix it)

Conclusion: if they force u to get a CC and you dont want to, just give bogus details so they decline to issue to CC and then pay via bank ac or cash.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Im at COSPA and they let me pay monthly at a combini, CC, or direct withdrawal from your account.

I was at COSPA for 4 years, they said at sign up direct withdrawal was the only way - they must have changed.
COSPA - great gym if you are a housewife or retired, too bad if you like free weights!
 Originally Posted By: SG
classic, same thing happened to me frequently in the pool, when I hopped in lane, often everyone else hopped out, except when the swimclub types arrived.....

no, I mean I actually have my own lane. It says:

C.B. continuous 2-3k swimmer, all others stay out - instead of the typical 25 or 50 meter lane \:D

Thanks for all the opinions. I guess it looks like I'll have to get the card. I wouldn't have minded so much if they had allowed other types of direct payment but after all the admin, entry and insurance fees I just felt I'd given them enough without subscribing to their credit card. I ended up telling them I would have to ask my husband and they let me pay cash for the first month.

I want to use that gym for MMT cos I already have free membership there from work and it's only about 5 mins from my house.

my last membership in Ashiya was like 12,000/month eek.gif Thats what I got for living in west beverly hills huh? My current membership is under 9000 yen/month but am going to add towels to the membership so I dont have to bring 2 with me everytime and that will jack it up like 1200 yen/month which is so worth it IMO. Sucks carrying everything around. Would like to get a locker but will be on a waiting list for quite a while.

9950yen/month. Brand new, big pool with 'aqua free' water (no chlorine taste), big studio, 20+ running machines, rotenburo, 2 jacuzzis, aromatherapy room.

Would prefer a simpler arrangement at half the price though: I basically just use the running machine, 4 of the weights machines and then have a sento. If I have some problem with the joints etc I may swim instead though which is a nice option.

Expensive \:\(

For the baby swim class (only time they are allowed in the pool) up to 16 times a month with any adult (I mean MMT is the member not me so it doesn't matter if different people go with him) it costs 8190/month. Might only be for a few months until he gets into Hoikuen though.