Well, it isn't the same at all, is it? Let's think.

For a start, "best skier in hakuba" is just a handle name and a bit of a joke. (Although I might well be!) I'm not recommending any ski school or anything else to anyone at all.

Markie, however, was coming out and proclaiming that a certain ski school "was the best in Hakuba" whilst at the same time admitting knowing the owner and not having experience of other places on offer.

Hardly the same is it?

(I'd like to point out that I have nothing against that ski school or Markie. I was simply pointing out... the point.)

Me jane, are you being naughty and trying to stir up something!

This would be much more fun in a bar, with the beer running and the voices getting gradually louder till the fists fly. So I suggest we save this debate till Sat. 22nd Mar. at The Pub in Hakuba (opposite the Mominoki) when I will be there and we can invite the Evengreen people and all to join in.

You must be incredibly naive to take recomendations as Gospel. As Jane stated earlier any recomendation is subjective. Of course that its only Markie's opinion but there is no need to say that, as surely everyone would take that as a given. Have you never went to a restaurant recomended by a friend? Sometimes they are as good as they say other times YOU think they're shite. Either way, you accept the recomendation and go check it out for yourself then afterwards you can make up your own mind. Unless you have checked it out for yourself then you aren't really in a poistion to confirm or deny

Can I point out the comment Markie himself posted:

Quote:
Yeah, good point. I should have just added "IMHO" to that recommendation first, instead of sounding like the authority on the subject, which is not what I intended.

- and tell all you fan-club poofters to give it a break as both he and best skier don't seem to be thinking this as big an issue as you.

Cant we just have a designated argument thread so anyone itching for an argument can duke it out with like minded members?

I was quite interested in the subject too, but had to read through 2 pages of rubbish instead?

back to the original question....

Evergreen is an excellent school, but if you hit them at the wrong time of year, it can be a nightmare to get the lessons you want, unless you book way in advance. Chinese New Year? Fuggedaboutit! This is probably because most people think they're the only way to get "English-language" lessons in Hakuba.

I've found that although the quality of coaching at the Japanese schools is not quite as good - or maybe it's just not as Western, and therefore I don't respond as well - the fact that I can get lessons from them when and where I want, often more than makes up for it. Actually, I take that back. I've definitely had some lessons at the local schools that were just as good... just not all.

The "English-language" part of it has never once been a problem. I generally need to be SHOWN what I'm doing wrong anyway, and how to correct it. And a little chat on the lift back up is fine - learn a few Japanese words - it all kind of adds to the fun.

As for kids' lessons, so far I don't think mine have noticed the difference. They never listen to a word anyone says anyway! As long as the teacher is prepared to chase after them on every slope once they give up on their turns, it's the same in any language.

Obviously this is just my opinion (oh yeah, and I don't know any of the owners), and may be very different for other levels of experience or training required, like bc, etc, but I don't think people should be put off going to Hakuba just because they might think there aren't enough English language instructors...

Tsugaike def is the best place to learn for sure, it has about a half-mile wide area just for beginners on the bottom area.

Many of the hotels and pensions also recommend their own instructors and or places. But since you want to book in advance that doesnt help you much...

To the original poster:

What is your skill level and what do you want to focus on during your lesson?

I will be at Tsugaike that first weekend you are there, perhaps we could get together for a few pointers?