My partner is an avid snowboarder but it's been 10+ years since i've skiied. Does anyone have any recommendations on ski schools in hakuba? I'm there 26 Jan - 2 Feb. Looks like if you are on your own and speak English you have to have a private lesson? Any suggestions? Or does anyone want to join me to make a group?

Evergreen has the best ski school Hakuba. It's opposite the Mominoki Hotel. However, Fattwins is by far the best ski instructor there. You can email him privately if you are interested.

However, if it's been 10 years before you've skied, it does not necessarily mean you need lessons.

Originally Posted By: Markie
Evergreen has the best ski school Hakuba. It's opposite the Mominoki Hotel.

No disrepect to Evergreen but just wondering how you made that assumption?

I know Dave, the owner. And I have seen many of the instructors he has hired in action. Of course, my recommendation is based on my past and limited experience. Doesn't mean he hasn't gone downhill since then, but I do feel comfortable about recommending him to any of my friends who go to Hakuba.

Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
In no was does that mean that it is "the best ski school in Hakuba". It just means you know him, like and rate him/them, which in fact makes it rather subjective.

Yeah, good point. I should have just added "IMHO" to that recommendation first, instead of sounding like the authority on the subject, which is not what I intended.

i have emailed them "apparent_best_skier" but they havent replied to my email (which i sent two days ago). Hence why i am asking people on this site.

It really doesnt seem like you have much productive to say so why dont you just say nothing at all?

Originally Posted By: Markie
 Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
In no was does that mean that it is "the best ski school in Hakuba". It just means you know him, like and rate him/them, which in fact makes it rather subjective.

Yeah, good point. I should have just added "IMHO" to that recommendation first, instead of sounding like the authority on the subject, which is not what I intended.

i guess thats where i was coming from. I wouldnt hesitate to reccommend Evergreen to anyone wanting lessons.

I'm not in Hakuba... but I would ssoooo outski you. cool.gif

on topic,

Evergreen hires internatially accredited instructors. You won't get the same credentials or experience at (virtually) any ski resort in the world. Those guys go to private firms like Evergreen. I believe the subjective comment was pretty spot on.

(I'm not impressed with the J demo team or training or tactics, to be honest. I ski them under the table too. But I'm just the best skier in Northern Honshu.) wink.gif

The best skier in Hakuba just outed himself I think? He is the competition to Evergreen I think.

The resorts have all hired an English Instructor but they suck at getting appointments. Best to Call Evergreen to get a quote.

No, I'm not an instructor or connected to any ski school. No thanks, sounds like a terrible job to me - I would rather enjoy the snow on my own than teach beginners.

I was simply pointing out that:

"he's my mate"

+

"I don't know anyone else"

does not =

"they are the best ski school in Hakuba"

That's all.

Originally Posted By: samurai
I'm not in Hakuba... but I would ssoooo outski you. cool.gif

on topic,
Evergreen hires internatially accredited instructors. You won't get the same credentials or experience at (virtually) any ski resort in the world. Those guys go to private firms like Evergreen. I believe the subjective comment was pretty spot on.

(I'm not impressed with the J demo team or training or tactics, to be honest. I ski them under the table too. But I'm just the best skier in Northern Honshu.) wink.gif

I am curious Samurai - what is your skiing history? You obviously know your stuff, have all sorts of qualifications and from the pictures of you skiing at Hachimantai you are obviously a bit of an ace - what has made you like that?