• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Originally Posted By: bobby12
I love my work and the challenge it provides, its rewarding and I progress myself much more than if I was rich and could spend my time as I liked. I am sometimes challenged to learn new technologies and other times I have total freedom to pick whatever tech interests me (ruby on rails, java etc) and start developing with it - I have very little pressure in terms of deadlines and I have total freedom (within business needs) to make web/intranet content/functions. Without a job I doubt I could push myself through that road in the same way, unless I was making my own business. For now I enjoy work as much as I enjoy snowboarding, backpacking, reading etc. Maybe in a few years I wont be saying that but for now it is the case. The only thing I would change is if I could have 40 days holiday a year instead of 20, and be in a more interesting part of Japan (Nagano/Tokyo/Niseko)

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I sometimes wish I enjoyed working more but after 15+years of it I really just don't. I do enjoy the social interaction I get from work but that's about it. My achievements at work just have never given me all that much satisfaction. Whereas my achievements climbing mountains and travelling to remote places are the things that I look back on with the most pleasure. When talking about my life these are things that define me and what I am about, not work. There are just so many mountains in the world I want to climb and so many places I want see. Working severely restricts my ability to do all these things. So I just keep dreaming that the parents in-law will have some unfortunate accident so I can get out and do all the things I want to!

i'd say i'm stuck between both these points of view. having a job you enjoy doing certainly makes a huge difference.
for now i'm working in a job i'm not passionate about, but i work hard cos it pays the bills and it allows me to do what i want.

soubs wrote something a while back that stuck in my head. i think it was something like "the door to the prison is always open, you just have to walk out". i can't wait to start my next career as a surf guide. 12 weeks or work left, then i'll be living on a tropical island. woohoo!

Interesting read. I'm flattered, spook, that I have struck a chord with you. I wish you happiness and fulfillment. (If it all goes tits-up, mate, don't bother touching me for a loan. I'm skint ;\) ). If you don't try, you'll never know.

Work for me is a means to an end. I work for myself and I can tell you its a lot more satisfying than working for the man. It's also a hell of a lot harder. I've never worked so damm hard in all my life. I want things out of life and nobody is going to hand them to me. I could hardly afford to take my family on a Japan/Europe holiday if I was plodding along in my comfort zone working for the man.

It irks me a bit when people say "how can you afford to do that". All I can say is, the next time you are kicking back watching your favorite TV show, or doodling on the computer, Give me a call and I'll probably be up in some dirty spider infested roof somewhere working.

That said, I hate work, It's just a tool I use to get the things I want and need out of life for my family. It's all about balance.

Work hard - Play hard

lol.gif nice one soubs

i did my thing in the office, went for a swim at the beach after work and had champers and prawns for dinner, just for the hell of it. work is a means to an end