So here it is. I have looked on hyperdia.com to find the best route from Tokyo Narita to Hakuba for my trip, and well, it seems confusing to say the least. All i want to know is how hard is it likely to be for a completely non-japanese-speaking australian to find his way from the airport to tokyo.

I also heard that certain train/bus services finish at certain times of the night???

Here are some details which might make it easier for someone nice here to help me out.

16th January: I arrive at Narita at 5.10pm (yes i read the topic on being fingerprinted and plan on doing my best justin gatlin impersonation to get to customs asap.

From here i know i have to get to tokyo and get some sort of train, but i really have no idea. Hyperdia tells me it will be a six hour trip.. this cant be right can it???

Train to Tokyo or Ueno station. Shinkansen to Nagano. Bus to Hakuba. Taxi to your hotel or tent.

4 hours if all went smoothly.

6 hours with a few train misses.

It should be very easy if you're not scared to ask people for help.

If I were you and not sure I'd stay in Tokyo the 1st night and then take my time the next morning.

Too many things can go wrong arriving late in the afternoon and then dealing with peak hour train trips.

yeah Dude, I would def stay a night in Tokyo first.

if you time it well, there's afew ppl from Tokyo on here, you may be able to get some advice from them, or better still perhaps meet up and travel on train with em.

Good luck mate, enjoy the snow wave.gif

yeah i would stay in tokyo if i was staying longer but im not in town very long and want to make the most of my time on the snow. Ill just have to do my best with what ive got when i fly in.

I read the fingerprinting posts.. what do you think is a reasonable timeframe to get bags and get through customs??

One hour.

20 minutes if there is absolutely no other people waiting, you get off the plane first. You get your bags first without delays. You find your way through the place first....

Getting the fastest train is tricky too. Some are faster than others....

You could get a night bus from Shinjuku straight into Hakuba the next morning... you'll save a night on accomodation....once you're on the bus you don't have to worry about train schedules and changing to other trains and buses...

Having navigated Tokyo's train system one or two times, I'll pitch in. I'm in your boat, not speaking any Japanese. The rail system is superb though, very easy to navigate when you are actually at the stations. Getting to Tokyo or Ueno station should be a breeze. Look for the 'give me the english version' on the automated ticketing machines. Look for express trains to/from the airport, vice the local ones, or prepare for a loooong trip. Ask around to find the shinkansen platforms, as I found them difficult to find among all the trains. But as long as you just go around asking for "Shinkansen?" you get pointed there. Be prepared for a quiet train ride also, as nobody ever wants to even look at the sole gaijin in their car, usually. \:\)

I have done it a heap of times now. Easy but daunting on your first go. Once you step out of customs go to the train station. Go to the JR counter buy tickets for the Narita express to Tokyo and your connecting Shinkansen. At Tokyo Station follow the little green train symbol while getting in the way of 100000 people. Buy a bento box if you have some time. When you get to Nagano you catch the bus to Hakuba. I have done the whole trip in 3 hours and 40 min. Have a snooze on the trains as the Japanese do and you're there in no time. Use hyperdia to get to Nagano. Last bus is 8:30 or 9 on a friday. You can also book the shared taxi for later transfers. Your accommodation should be able to help you with these details.

If you REALLY want to safe money you do this:

Take Keisei Line to Tokyo (I think Ueno)

Go on to Shinjuku Station

Take the night bus to Hakuba that leaves at 22:30

The bus is 4700 one way, plus you safe one hotel night, the bus arrives at 05:30.

22:30 would mean no rush at all, even time for a nice dinner in a Watami in Shinjuku.

What ever you take, bus, shinkansen - be there EARLY. Train station tend to be HUGE and to get English advise can be tricky.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have bought the flexi rail pass so the train is already paid for, so will just go for that. From what i can see in your replies, it should be pretty straight forward (or at least more so than i thought after trying to decipher the train lines from the JR website!).

HawaiiBoarder, i look forward to having the weird stares from westerners, it will prob be a highlight of my trip haha!

TJ_OZ, what is a bento box??? I wont get to Nagano till after nine so will definately look at sharing a taxi. How much am i looking at??

Thanks again for the advice guys, without this site i would be lost! I also wouldnt be so super psyched after reading the reports and seeing the pictures, especially the 'most snow on top of a vehicle' ones!

Cheers

Bento box

Lunch box

Same thing.

Lots of yummy foods in a packed lunch style.

I LOVE the way the Japanese make an ART of presenting thier meals. One thing I MUST buy when I am in Tokyo is Bento Boxes for my kids for school. WAY COOL!

C-mo, it's a failry straight forward excercise, catch the Narita Express to Tokyo, follow the green train symbol signs to platforms 21/22/23/24 dowstairs, catch the Shink to Nagano then taxi, if you get in late.

Downside is it will be fairly expensive that way. If you're on a tight budget, the overnight bus would be the go but then again, the Shink is a great experience!

But Whiteman, if he's already got the rail pass, the Shinkansen is not gonna cost him anything.

So, c mo, my suggestion is: either take the train all the way to Hakuba, it is possible and is the cheapest but will take quite long. I did that when I had a rail pass; or take the Narita Express to Tokyo and then the Shinkansen to Nagano. From Nagano to Hakuba you can take a taxi, this is the fastest, but if you want to save money, I am sure I know some pension owners who will pick you up from Nagano station if you stay with them and you pay them a small pick-up fee of 2000Y.

If you go to Nagano you could stay there overnight and take the first bus to Hakuba.

Departure: 08:20

Arrival: 09:30 at Happo

Bus is ¥1500

Taxi to Hakuba will cost a LOT, asking a hotel place for pick up should be fine too.

A little problem for us un-locals is that our beloved GSM phone does not work in Japan and we are hard to reach if somebody searches us. Meeting places and times must be bulletproof.

For goodness sake, Kraut_in_HK pick up a 3G mobile at any store in HK, they can be very cheap, mine costs only a little over HK$1000. Then when you go to Japan, just slip your sim-card into it and it will work fine.

You can also rent a Keitai at Narita. That's not very costly either.

Originally Posted By: SirJibAlot
It's not easy, but it's not impossible. If you miss the bus at Nagano - you are screwed...

If you miss 8:20 the next is at 9:10 , I think they have also out of schedule buses at peak times. When I took it on a weekend there were zillions of people and I got still on one of the 5 or so buses in no time.

I think the key in Japan as a visitor is to really collect all information you need in advance and expect not to have an English speaker near you.

3G phones work in JP? I will check that. But I think my new Nokia 6300 ain't.

yeah if my plane lands at 5.10pm then by all likelihood i am not going to get to Nagano until the later part of 9pm. I already have accommodation booked at the 'Hotel De Laile (?)' so it might be worth asking them if they can help out. Maybe staying at Nagano overnight might end up being the best bet...

oh, when I said "If you miss 8:20 the next is at 9:10" I meant of course 8:20 and 9:10 in the morning and not 20:20 or 21:10.

But talking about the evening, the last 3 bus departures are:

18:45

20:30

21:00

Let's calculate, landing 17:10, in the train from Narita 18:00, in Tokyo (station) 19:00 (that's optimistic), take the 19:04 Shinkansen (platform 21) and be in Nagano at 20:42 - really not realistic.

The last shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Nagano leaves at 22:04

Hyperdia is very good for checking train schedules and has English too.

thanks kraut.. with the advice given here i quickly realise that getting from Nagano to Hakuba by bus is going to be an impossible task. so i called my travel agent who has reserved me a taxi to take me from nagano to hakuba when i arrive.. thank god!

I wonder, what is the taxi cost?

I once took a taxi from Hakuba Saka area to Goryu area (Trax Bar), maybe 20 Minutes and that was near 10,000 with a "normal" taxi. I guess you have some special shuttle service. Is it?

PS: is that rail pass a good deal if you just go Tokyo-Nagano and return? Last time I checked rail passes it was not really worthwhile for a short stay visitor.

the taxi cost $100.00 for two of us, which works out to be about 9,500Y. Im happy to pay for that just for peace of mind, knowing that i am able to get to Hakuba and be able to get on the snow first thing the next morning.

We got the rail pass because we are staying in Tokyo for two days after staying in Hakuba. So with that option it prob is worth it. But yeah you are right, the rail pass isnt cheap and wouldnt be worth it at all if i was staying only in hakuba..