Lunar New year holiday effect on Japan Resorts

G'day,

Am heading to Hakuba and Nozawa Onsen 2-16 Feb and have noticed it will coincide with Chinese New Year. Do the Japan resorts get inundated with people during this holiday, and if so, for how long (weekend/week) and where do they tend to converge on?

thanks,

Originally Posted By: Go Native
we get heaps of people coming from SE Asia.

I am one of them! Japan is one of the major destination for Chinese New Year from Hong Kong. I will be there Feb. 7-13th and I found it already very difficult to book a hotel in Tokyo, Shinjuku area was already full.

For ski places you should also book ASAP, specially over weekends since there will be also lots of crowds from Tokyo.

It depends on the resorts. The popular bigger ones do get lots of people, but the majority of smaller ones will see no real difference. Hakuba and Nozawa will see a fair few people visiting during that week though.....

I don't think it's going to make that much difference to be honest. It's not as if there are going to be that many more people descending on Nozawa for that week.... not enough to cause big jams on the slopes anyway.

Originally Posted By: SerreChe
CNY + Japanese Uni students done w/ their exams = massive crowds.
Happo will look like an ant mound as usual if that is any indication.

Is the Februar 9th weekend any special day in Japan? That's the CNY weekend outside Japan, but I saw that some hotels also mentiond that weekend as "special price", special higher that is...

I guess the crowds will be mainly Japanese and be gone by Monday, right?