Not sure Pietro, but there will definitely be places as TM is really popular here and the standard is very good.

If your wife wants lessons then that would be possible too as there are lots of TM instructors around also.

Your accommodation provider should be able to help you when you get here to recommend someone.

Okay, thanks,

Our accomm. provider isn't a huge skier and didn't know about tele gear places. I have found this crew 'Niseko Toyru' who I think only deal with telemark. Babel Fish makes it interesting to find the relevant info :-)

I thought I'd get the details sorted now to gaurantee getting gear, but maybe that's overkill.

Cheers.

Old thread

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=18815

- but I think you are onto something with Toyru. In fact I am pretty sure they are opposite the Gondola Chalets - I went in there in April and checked it out, but I am on a tea tray - not sticks...so I didn't take much notice!

The place you speak of is on the left heading up to the gondola. There are a few other places that rent tele gear. But with the new rules not sure I can name them. I would pm you but the function is turned off

Thanks Quattro,

As I am a new member I haven't racked up enough posts to be eligible for PM posting yet. If you can be bothered \:\) you can send any info you have to xxxxxx.

Mammabear: that link is useful, thanks.

As to skiing deep powder you'll have to ask my wife. She's the nutter. Actually, she's an excellent downhiller but seems to be going to the other side.

hi all,

my wife and I will be in Niseko in January.

From this thread it seems that we should be able to show up at Niskeo and hire Telemark gear, as well as get telemark lessons without booking ahead.

Would that be true? or should we try to book ahead somewhere for lessons and/or gear?

thanks in advance,

SkiFool

There are telemark ski and boots for hire at the Kogen ski centre.

They also have 3 beer vending machines to keep you happy while gearing up. But for 1 man over 2 days, I think it's pricey.

The Kogen is the big hotel facing King 1.

It may be best to book the lessons ahead of time. Some of the instructors do both ski and telemark and to make sure they are not tied up with other clients I would say book ahead.