This may apply equally to the BC thread, but may interest a larger audience as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/03/07/guiding.standards/index.html

Just curious as well, what kind of standards do we come across in Japan in terms of guide certifications? Are foreign certificates accepted, do they have their own standards?

"Because of the lax attitude toward standards in this country, U.S. guides with the requisite skill sets are enrolling for IFMGA exams at a record pace."

I'm not sure about that - you can hardly say that the US in general, or in ski resorts, has a more lax attitude than France to safety!

Maybe the guide standards are so high in France because there are so few safety rules/laws acting as a safety net - all the responsibility is individual - on the guide. Whereas in the US there are already so many laws already individual guides are not so exposed??? unless they get sued, i suppose!

AK, I guess that is a possible explanation. Personnaly I cannot compare between both standards since I have only been with european guides (did not stop us from getting in trouble). Still, I am surprised that North America can be so unregulated when it comes as to who can claim to be a mountain guide. Most likely I think that the standards will even out over time between Europe and NA as more cross-training takes place. Eventually NA will hate being regarded as more lax in their standards and will tighten them up eventually.

Les Arcs eh? Nice spot (when there is snow).

5 years to get certified that's a serious commitment. I don't think the US will ever adopt the EU standards. Avalanche safety is pretty much just a ski resort thing in the US whereas in Europe it's something that effects entire populations not just recreational snow users. Remember the bottom line in the ski industry is $$$ so if it takes 5 years to get certified then those guides are going to want top dollar. If the resorts adopt the highter standards then they will have to hire only those with IFMGA training. That will effectively eat in to their profits which means higher ticket/resort prices, less visitors, and the wheel goes round.

Not sure about other places, but in France for example, there is a difference between mountain guides and ski instructors. Ski instructors although having close affiliations to the resorts are more numerous and do not have to go through as hard a training. As a matter of fact, in a single resort you can have more than one ski school (ESF, Ecole de ski buissoniere, etc...). You can also have various guide companies within a single resort. They are separate entities from the resort itself. So the fact that a guide or ski instructor fee is expensive should not impact the cost of your lift ticket. Usually for serious technical bc, you probably want to go with a fully fledged guide, otherwise for tamer itiniraries, people from the ski school can take you there. By the way, a guide for a day in Europe will set you back around 250 Euros for a day which is not that much if you split the cost in a group.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
As far as I know there is no system for guide certification in Japan.
Anybody that wants to can call themselves a guide.
That's a crack up. Anyone can call themselves a guide and take other people's lives into their hands but they have to place either first or second at the JP Nationals to even call your self a "pro" snowboarder. Some seriously screwed up ideas in the JP ski/snowboard industry.

Depends what you current job is ;\) , but I would say that typically these guys do not make a bomb (although it does seem very expensive to us the end-users) given the risks that they take and the limited season. They have to be climbing instructors or something else in the summer to make ends meet.

Quote:
But as with any job in the outdoors it's not so much about the money as it is about the lifestyle

Money isn't everything in life
If I may say Toque, you are right on the money with that statement.

A little money never hurts though ;\)