OK..I was in another thread and the goofy/natural thing was mentioned and I was wondering if you have found any correlation in riding styles in families? Like a genetic bias to one or the other...

Why I ask is His Injuredness and myself are both natural.

But the 4 bear cubs are ALL goofy.

It always seemed strange to me...

Anyone else got a mix in the family?

(BTW - we are ALL right handed).

I am goofy but my 2 brothers are natural. The weird thing is that my young brother is left handed and left footed BUT rides natural and I'm right handed, left footed and ride goofy, we are all mixed up!! \:D

Atually, thats a very good point.

Has anyone done a study?

As everyone says, When you first hop on a board, just what determines balance & co-ordination?

Everyone says try, and WHAM, it happens straight away (feeling natural on your chosen side).

I wonder what part of the brain decides this?, it's got to be the same as creative versus intelligence...

Oh, I am goofy...

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Why I ask is His Injuredness and myself are both natural.
But the 4 bear cubs are ALL goofy.

a whole family on snowboards? jeez, i can imagine lots and lots of skating through flat spots
although it ust be very reqarding watching your kids whizz down the slopes, it must also be very frustrating at times huh?
 Originally Posted By: Indo
I'm natural (naturally) and my bro is goofy.
My eldest son is natural, though they can be trained to go the other way from a young age. (apparently)

Good point. Can kids be trained. Mine seem to ride they skateboards wich ever way they jump on them. if I quiz them about it and they are forced to think about it, it confuses them.

For the record. I'm goofy, my wife's hopeless either way (she skis) , we are both left handed, the kids are right handed. wakaranai.gif
 Originally Posted By: G
natural vs googy = potential fun getting off the lifts together!

Well as a newcomer to the sport I am proud to say we are able to ride the lift with 2 naturals and 2 goofy's on a quad and still get off the lift safely. We do have to think about it though... and I tend to make a late lift exit after I have got the cubs away safe with a little push.

See how we go in the powder...???...
 Originally Posted By: spook

a whole family on snowboards? jeez, i can imagine lots and lots of skating through flat spots
although it ust be very reqarding watching your kids whizz down the slopes, it must also be very frustrating at times huh?

Nah not really - we don't know any better... Never skied!

I only just got the hang of traversing narrow sections of flat the last trip to Thredbo - until then I kept freaking out with the speed needed and turning board across to heel to slow down and having to hike it while cutting off all the poor people behind me - but I got it NOW!

Sometimes need a bit of skating, but I am getting better at that too...although I did pick up a dropped skiers pole on one lift and used it to scoot over to the them to give it back...HANDY!

i dont understand all this toe and heel side nonsense..

to me its either a forehand turn or a backhand turn..

i board natural and surf natural.

My brother was goofy and he was right handed.

Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi
Atually, thats a very good point.

Has anyone done a study?

As everyone says, When you first hop on a board, just what determines balance & co-ordination?
Everyone says try, and WHAM, it happens straight away (feeling natural on your chosen side).

I wonder what part of the brain decides this?, it's got to be the same as creative versus intelligence...

Oh, I am goofy...

I did the push test and as a result tried natural but found it difficult and kept on turning the other way, my brother kept on shouting that i was going down backwards and I said it was more comfortable and natural, he then switched my bindings round to goofy and it all made sense! \:D