After a couple of years away from Japan, and rather to my surprise, I'm back in Japan but now with a fantastic daughter. Last time we were living in Japan, skiing was a big part of our lives and now we are trying to figure out how to have as fun as possible with a toddler in the mountains this winter.

My wife and I both started skiing when we were small - but not as young as two! And while our daughter has already been on a couple of ski trips so far it's all been sledding, snowmen and snowshowing (she sleeps, I get a work out). Anyone got any experience of putting two or three year olds on skis - and making sure they enjoy it?

Good to be back and great to see that the forum is alive and well

Hugh

i believe this has already come up before, try a search and you should find a ton of info.

PS i started out on skis when i was 2. apparently my dad started me off holding me between his egs, and eventually i had a rope tied around my waist for more mobility

well I have a four year old daughter and first started her out on skis when she was about two / three. She kind of enjoyed it, but got fed up after just a few mins, and instead prefared the sledge.

I think best just play in the snow at a family resort and if you can find a really nice patient instructor then you could try putting her in a class, but don't expect much, as a two year old has no real idea of what they are doing.

Main thing just let them mess around in the snow as they like.

Tying a rope around their waste and pulling them along on the snow is a good way to help them get used to balancing and they normally find that more fun than skiing to start with.

I think until she is just a little older just play with her in the snow together, and don't think to ski at the same time as you are with her.

If we decide to ski my wife and I just take turns. While one skis the other plays with our daughter.

Hope this helps you.

Originally Posted By: snowdude
I think until she is just a little older just play with her in the snow together, and don't think to ski at the same time as you are with her.

I agree. Whether she is playing on skis or not, just enjoy the time with her and don't worry about the turns you are missing out on.

One of my friends taught toddlers in Canada and said the class was a joke and that she was more of a babysitting service. She said she spent the whole time changing nappies and that half of them couldn't even walk steadily!

Just do whatever you both enjoy.

Having just spent the evening chasing mine around trying to wear her out I'm kind of in agreement ......

Thanks for the comments - we'll just have to see what she wants to do and let her lead - just hope there aren't too many powder days when I'm on the one sledding!

Having a ski school background, I feel obligated to respond.

regardless of age, kicking a soccerball was the standard pre-requisite.

Don't torture your kids with ropes around the waist. They're not dogs. If they can't stand up, why tie them up? do something else.

find a kids' school. They enjoy it, and you get to ride. and... the instructors actually deal with kids on a daily basis. They do actually have a grasp on introducing kids to skiing. (believe it or not.)

If it's too early, who cares? besides you. Put them in daycare.

Oh and rule number 1...

Never... Ever... teach a family member or loved one how to ski.

Sure, your father saved 60bucks by tying you to his rope, but who enjoyed that? And... do you even remember it? I'm sure he does... I'm quite positive he remembers the lost snow-day tugging his kid around while his wife chanted orders different from his own in some lost hope to get the kid to enjoy the day.

You want to introduce your kid to skiing? Give him a day in the snow, with skis, and other kids, away from you.

Originally Posted By: samurai

You want to introduce your kid to skiing? Give him a day in the snow, with skis, and other kids, away from you.

I thought the same for my niece but after seeing how some of the schools piss around and just let them have snow ball fights I'd rather save my money!
I've had a ball teaching my niece and oldest son, trick is to take them on the non pow days!

my kids started at 2 - be prepared for long breaks in the cafeteria, talk a lot on the chairlifts otherwise they will fall to sleep.

Keep them warm and keep them interested.

I came off a bit harsh above. I guess that was my instructor-self remembering the bickering family members strewn about the snow.

I don't know anything about J schools, but american kids' programs can be phenomenal.

Mammoth, Kirkwood, Telluride, all the big resorts are pros and definitely worth the coin, imo. Hence my bias.

I even sent my mom off with another instructor. Teaching family members when not (although I was) a pro instructor can really ruin a vacation. I've seen it a hundred times. Some crying kid that dad won't pick up, a woman yelling at her boyfriend/husband who won't shut up, the student taking offense to the family member's tone.

Pros simply speak the language and are much easier to understand.

I do however remember very nice days learning with my dad. He tried to put me in lessons but I refused. huh.

I taught No2 son to ski. I did it by being patient, never angry, never pushing and ensuring he was enjoying being on the snow. If he wasn't having fun we called it off. It took me three seasons and a lot of wasted ski time.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
It took me three seasons and a lot of wasted ski time.

Do you speak the language?

I also used to teach snowboarding. I was in the industry and a part of the ski school office for 8 years, on both tools. When I came to Japan, a fellow coworker joined us for our new year's cabin/ski binge. He wanted to try boarding. A different, highly skilled rider (though no insturctional experience) said my "skier" advice was crap and told the kid to lean back on his rear leg.

Don't ever tell a beginner boarder to lean back. they'll never learn to turn or stop because their board will be continually slipping out from under them. Our friend didn't learn either. My other boarder friend said; "Samurai's a skier, don't listen to him." When I mentioned that I used to teach snowboarding, he just shot me down because I ride skis.

I left and went skiing. (it was a poweder day afterall) That poor kid never continued. He just had a half a dozen uneducated teachers (one of whom had just learned that year how to turn) telling him how to ride. That was disastrous.

"Dude, just like... do this."
 Originally Posted By: soubriquet
I learned to ski at 23 so I can still remember the process. The problem was he didn't have the confidence to face down the fall-line and let the skis run. It wasn't that I couldn't teach but that he refused to learn.

That does take a bit getting used to, the same as when you are boarding. Just when your making the turn and the board (or skis) start to run in a straight line and the speed picks up, the first thing I did was panic and want to fall over. It is definitely a mental block that you have to curb your natural fear, the same last year when I was learning to ski. Only I had to pretend that I was brave because I was learning with a group of mental kids from the high school I worked at, any small glimpse of weakness and the little buggers would pounce on you like rabid dogs!!! \:D