Winter temperatures, rain/snow to be normal

Winter temperatures, rain to be normal

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 at 05:00 EDT

TOKYO — Temperatures and precipitation from rain and snow for most of the Japanese archipelago are expected to remain within the range of a normal year in the coming winter season between December and February, the Japan Meteorological Agency announced Tuesday.

Originally Posted By: stemik
most of the locals here are predicting a big snow season this year

well - according to my next door neighbour and my kids kindergarden teacher

find the oldest Obaasan and get her to consult her bunions, they are never wrong!!

Well I did say months ago this year is going to be a cold snowy one and I think I will be right, looks like others are saying the same now.

In all the years I've been in Japan, this is the first year I can remember where there is actually a chill in the wind in September in Tokyo.

Normally Tokyo by now has cooler days and of course the air feels fresher, but this last couple of days the actual air has a chill to it, unlike anything I can remember for Sep, in the eight years that I have been here.

Please anyone correct me on that if it's just my memory.

I am only 5 years in Tokyo, but I ve also noticed the difference this year. I think its the first time since I came that we had 4 seasons. Not like the previous Winter to Summer to Winter pattern.

It used to be warm till the end of October and then it became cold very fast, in 1-2 weeks. Now it’s the first time that it feels like autumn and gets chilly in the afternoon/night.

Warm in November they reckon. Then normal afterward.

Anything better than last year will do. I've never seen so much rain during winter.

My verdict on the summer was very long rainy season followed by hotter than normal and surprisingly dry. It was looking ropey for the rice for a while, but August came through trumps.

ASB Niseko has had a couple of years where the maximum recorded depth has been somewhat less than some of the best seasons ever recorded in Aus but without doubt even in a bad season here the snow quality will be like nothing ever experienced in Aus.

was up in hakuba over the weekend for an adventure race and got chatting to few of the locals there who mentioned that this year has seen an unsual amount of moths around already which apparently indicates its going to be a good season..

You hakuba crew seeing these moths? whats the reasoning behind it?

Last winter, the Pacific off Tohoku was abnormally warm. The jet stream ran NE rather than east, and warm southern air masses were pulled north. My guess is that it was due to el Nino, but I've no evidence to support that. This year looks normal. I'll work up the sea temperature data in the next few days.

Apart from a late start, spoiled by a typhoon and rain, I was skiing consistently good snow all season. The places that suffered were the marginal areas in the south and west. Last winter's snow was better than anything I've encountered in Europe or Australasia.