Good areas for hiking and Camping.

Hey Oyuki

Lots of beautiful hand-drawn trail maps here from all over Nagano.

http://w1.avis.ne.jp/~nakajima/index.html

The best-known Togakushi trail goes past Okusha, a shrine with a long approach lined with ancient sugi trees. There's a thatched gate halfway that used to have all sorts growing out of it, but its recently been redone. Here's the approach

20050823.jpg

I just spent the weekend hiking and walking in Oze and I have to say I loved it. It's maybe not that challenging for people who hike a lot, but for me I really enjoyed it. There was a good variance in walks, from the easy long walks over the marshlands to the near vertical climbing up to 1700mtrs. There was a bigger mountain up to 2000mtrs but we didn't have time to climb it. We took an overnight bus from Yokohama station and took it to Hatomachi Toge (sp?), got there about 5.30am. From there it was a 5.5 hrs hike/walk to our lodge. Being honest I didn't think I'd enjoy that long a walk at that time of the morn but it was ace. We did a few local walks around the lodge over the next 2 days before a 2.5hr hike out to Oshimizu where we got the bus back to Tokyo station. All in all a very good weekend of hiking

The pic is from a famous trail that leads to a Shrine up in Togura, in North Nagano. I forget the name of the shrine though. Beautiful place.

I was there last October, and at that time the thatched roof of the gate had still not been replaced, and had all sots of stuff growing out of it.

Oh, and i went hiking at a place called Myogi-san (妙義山) on the weekend. The most beautiful jagged rock formations there, it looks like its straight out of a chinese ink painting. I'll post some pics later.

There are different levels of hiking trails there, my friend and i went on just a meduim, but it had some challenging sideways and verical parts where you had to hold on to chains embedded in the rock.

I'd like to try the advanced trails sometime, if i was with someone who knew what they were doing.

Yeah Stemik, it was marshy, well all the flat areas with the walk boards, that was all marsh. However there was loads of hills and forest trails that weren't marshy. The flat area is pretty famous there apparently and the best time to see them is now and in spring when the flowers of the marshes are all coming out. It was a bit like Scotland, but way more forest. Most of Scotlands hills are bare.

yeah, definitely. It usually just the tops and the ridges that are bare. But there are plenty forests with good descents around the central core of Scotland (North to South Running, not e-w). Up past Perth there are a number of decent forests that i have mountain biked, they aren't hard core though so maybe be too tame for you, but i really enjoyed them

The photo is, err, the approach to Okusha shrine in Togakushi. You also get great soba in Togakushi, deffo better than the rest of Nagano.

The link I posted has lots of beautiful trail maps. It's well worth a look.

This is going to sound sarcastic but it's not...

I went hiking in Niseko a few years back and there were loads of flat marshy areas with those plank type paths going over them. TB, your pics look quite similar. I'll have to find mine and post them.

Yup.

It's up in the mountains behind/above Goshiki-onsen. Lots of marshes and ponds. There are a bunch of hiking trails, some leading up to the various mountain peaks up there. The road through the area closes in winter - the other end is in Iwanai of that town with the nuclear power plant... can't remember the name... Tomari?