Good areas for hiking and Camping.

It's quite nice up there - I was here last aki just before the leaves had fully turned color, so it was very picturesque. I would have liked to hike some of the peaks, but I only had my skateboard shoes, so it would have been sketchy at best.

There's a nice air-conditioned "ride all day for XXXX-yen" bus operating in a circuit through Niseko out to the visitor center of the nature area where all the trails start.

>It's quite nice up there - I was here last aki just before the leaves had fully turned color, so it was very picturesque. I would have liked to hike some of the peaks, but I only had my skateboard shoes, so it would have been sketchy at best.

geeze, Ive hiked the peaks in skiboots, grow some ballz ;\) :p

• 2 weeks later...

Finally went up to Togakushi last weekend for a little camping. My girlfriend and i drove up there on Saturday afternoon, and set up our tent at the Tagakushi Campsite.

Was a little wirded out that it was gonna cost us 2 or 3000 yen, but thats only if you park your car by the tent. We opted for the cheaper option of leaving it at the parking lot at the base and paid 1000 yen fr one night.

It was a long weekend, and a ton of people had the same idea. We managed to find a secluded corner by a little creek away from everyone.

It got dark around 6, so we headed over to Kamitsuge onsen by the Togakushi ski hill for a soak, and ended up eating dinner there too. Got ack to the tent, had some umeshu, and tried to sleep.

Got up early the next morning unmolested by animals, and set the tent up to dry, as there was a lot of condensation from our breath, and ttha fact that it was so cold.

We went up to Okusha one of the main 3 shrines in the area) first and saw that the trees were jsut starting to change color. And the chestnits were falling with every breeze. Falling HARD. That made the walk a little more exciting.

Went over to Chusha and walked to the last shrine (i forget the name) and was back to the tent around nooninsh to pack up.

Hit the ninja house before we left and checked out all the craziness there. They have a great collection of photos, and a little throwing star target practice place. I won a ninja fan!

It was much, much cooler than i thought!

we drove over to Nojiriko after, and then over on road 96 or something to Nakano and then up to Nozawa onsen for an evening soak before heading back.

96 is really beautiful, just little farms all the way. It really feels like 'Uranippon', which i mean in the most positive way possible. Check it out if you have a chance.

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone care to guess how long it would take to drive from Tokyo to Togakushi? I'm thinking very early morning saturday start to avoid any traffic. I tried to find an online car navigation-like tool but came up short, so if anyone knows if one exists that would be just as good. Thanks!