• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Everyone seems to hate them. Deserved I suppose, but others I have flown with don't seem much different. Fact is that if they are the cheapest way to get back to the UK which they often are, you are not rich and unless you want to go via some mad route people will still use them and save their pennies.

I don't mind one stopover when flying home so I've often used korean Air or Asiana, stop in Seoul for an hour and then to Heathrow. They tend to be cheaper than BA. But I've since found out that Lufthansa are just as reasonable and with a stop in Frankfurt I can fly right into Edinburgh, much better!!

Airlines and their allowances really annoy me. It always seems so unclear and depends on who you speak to. When I checked in over summer I talked to the lady on the counter and she said basically that I could have taken 30kg (I was at 24 and worried I was over my 20 limit).

they will usually let 5kg slide. the laer you are, the more flustered they are and the ruder you are will also affect this.

my little sister is tiny (about 45kgs) and they tried to charge her for excess bagge (she had shedloads as she was moving to NY). she just pointed to somea large people waiting in line and said "i'm half the size they are, so let the 10kg slide". it worked.

When I checked in at Manchester in late August, they told me that come October (or was it September?) the conveyor belt that takes your bags once they are checked in will not move if a bag is heavier than the official 23kg limit. She said they are going to get real strict.

Looks like she was wrong. Found this on the Virgin UK site:

BAA BAGGAGE RESTRICTIONS TO AND FROM THE UK

All passengers travelling to and from the UK are not permitted to check in any bag that weighs in excess of 32kgs (70lbs). The maximum weight limit of 32kgs relates to single items of luggage and should not be seen as your baggage allowance. This new safety measure, which applies to all airlines and all destinations to/from the UK, is being introduced to reduce strains and injuries amongst baggage handling staff.

Passengers who exceed this maximum weight limit will be asked to repack their luggage into smaller units before they can check in. Excess baggage charges will be applied where applicable.

BA certainly do not give you 32kg.

On the ticket it says 23kg.

My understanding is that included in the ticket price you get to take up to 23kg.

If you want, you can take more but you are supposed to pay for that extra.

But even if you want to take more, that maximum weight limit is 32kg.

BAA is British Airport Authorities. So that text applies to all flights in and out of the UK, regardless of airline.

The luggage limit depends on your airline, destination and seat class but wherever you are going and however much your limit, no individual piece can be over 32kgs cos it's not good for the baggage staff.

(23kgs is the UK to Aisa economy checked baggage limit)

Yes, right.

But I presume that most people would think of the "baggage allowance" meaning the amount that you can take for free - which is 23kg.

Anything above that weight up to this 32kg limit is valid for extra baggage charges (whether they actually do charge you or not).

On my recent BA flights last month, baggage restrictions didn't even mention weight and there was no visible weight/scales showing anywhere at check-in . Requirements were simply 'one bag' for checked luggage and one bag for cabin. You're also allowed (apparently) one sporting item for checked luggage. I had an easel and a large tube with some canvases in there that they (naturally) wouldn't let me take on the plane but checked them both with no worries, though my friend in London was really concerned that I wouldn't be allowed to fly with them due to the 'one bag' restriction.

Didn't realise everyone had to take off their shoes to get x-rayed when going thru customs, out of Heathrow though!

Originally Posted By: sunrise
On my recent BA flights last month, baggage restrictions didn't even mention weight and there was no visible weight/scales showing anywhere at check-in . Requirements were simply 'one bag' for checked luggage and one bag for cabin. You're also allowed (apparently) one sporting item for checked luggage. I had an easel and a large tube with some canvases in there that they (naturally) wouldn't let me take on the plane but checked them both with no worries, though my friend in London was really concerned that I wouldn't be allowed to fly with them due to the 'one bag' restriction.

Didn't realise everyone had to take off their shoes to get x-rayed when going thru customs, out of Heathrow though!

that happened to me going thru LAX a few years ago

32kg's is just in international 1 bag limit.

If you fly with family, you can combine your baggage as long as each piece is under that 32kg limit.

Why when flying from OZ to the US/Sth america you are allowed to take 32kg per person. But normal asia routes just 20kg?

I flew to mex and was allowed going 32kg there, and flew back and was allowed 32kg to Japan and only 20kg to Oz because we stopped over?

strange.

how come if you fly via the states you get 32kg, but only 20kg otherwise?

when i was living in london, alot of aussies would fly home via the states so they could cart all their crap without having to ship it...